• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Siamese Algae Eaters

A

Antipofish

When I was in a store in Worthing yesterday the assistant told me that Siamese Algae Eaters are also called Foxfish. Is that right ? How good are they ? I am considering having a few, and some Otocinclus too (are these what our american members call "Ocats"?).

My tank is going to be amazon based with appropriate water chemistry. Will this be OK for both of these fish ?

Thanks.

Flying fox and siamese algae eaters are not the same. They look similar, but they are not the same, an do not act the same either.

Check online for how to identify them.

The sae has 4 small barbels, and a black line that extends into its tail. Also it has a zig zag patern on its back, just above the black line.

There are also claims that they eat moss, although mine never did so.

I don't know what is the secret of success, but the secret of failure is trying to please the world!

Agreed with Luis.

That is why I wrote this post: http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19176 in order to help people differentiate:

1. what constitutes a Siamese Algae Eater (from the links in my post)

2. the differences between those fish that ARE considered SAE (Siamese Agae Eaters).

ghostsword said:
Flying fox and siamese algae eaters are not the same. They look similar, but they are not the same, an do not act the same either.

Check online for how to identify them.

The sae has 4 small barbels, and a black line that extends into its tail. Also it has a zig zag patern on its back, just above the black line.

There are also claims that they eat moss, although mine never did so.

sanj said:
Agreed with Luis.

That is why I wrote this post: http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19176 in order to help people differentiate:

1. what constitutes a Siamese Algae Eater (from the links in my post)

2. the differences between those fish that ARE considered SAE (Siamese Agae Eaters).

Thanks guys and thanks for the article I will go have a read. :thumbup:

Chris.

Back