• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Silica Sand

A

Antipofish

Hi, can anyone tell me if silica sand is likely to give rise to algea ? Or anything else undesirable ? Thanks.

to me it doesnt look particularly nice dirty and so algae would definitely not help, sorry thats as far as I can help, if any :p

Hi,
There is no demonstrated relationship between silica sand and any type of algae. Algae forms as a result of poor plant health, poor nutrition, poor CO2 and excessive lighting. Algae do not care what kind of sand you use. What they care about is how competent you are at keeping a healthy tank.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Hi,
There is no demonstrated relationship between silica sand and any type of algae. Algae forms as a result of poor plant health, poor nutrition, poor CO2 and excessive lighting. Algae do not care what kind of sand you use. What they care about is how competent you are at keeping a healthy tank.

Cheers,

Thanks ceg. I kind of thought that but recalled reading that silicates come out of the silica sand and can lead to a greater likelyhood of algae. I am hoping to get those other factors right, so all being well, silica based sand ought not to affect potential algal outbreaks, is that right? Cheers.

Back