• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Silicon cure time.

When redoing tanks I leave 48 hours but seems as its not going to be taking any weight should only need about 12 to be safe. I assume its aquarium safe?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Some ingridiants can be harmfull to aquatic life but tbh I have used sanitary food grade silicone once with no problems just better safe than sorry :)

I have watched videos a few years ago on the you tube to get a grasp of re sealing my aquarium and a few chaps the US of A and Canada use standard (all be it specific brands and/or numbered) silicone. So it would seem there are silicones available that will be fine to use in aquaria. I myself, work in a store selling many silicones and had a look through a few but couldn't find one that we sell that didn't state that it would be toxic to aquatic life so opted for the easy way out and paid the extra few quid.

Marine safe rtv silicone is much more expensive than normal stuff but i suspect its the same as aquarium silicone exept ones for aquarium use come in much small packs £ for £. Many things advertised for aquariums are much more money. Look at jbl proflora reg. all that is is a cheap disposable welding reg with a cheap solenoid and needle valve put in a fancy box and sold for silly money to mugs with big wallets

Ive used marine save rtd at work. They sent me to go and get it from farnell group at leeds i cant remember what brand or number but it was fast curing and was a smaller tube. I've just looked on farnell website and without downloading all the data sheets cant tell which ones are or are not safe i might drop them an email and ask

Off topic here but you mentioned the JBL reg. I was actually concidering getting one, is it really not that great and also being a welder could you recommend a good manufacturer?

Back