• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

sinking wood

tonyg1

a while ago i bought an amazing piece of bogwood that has the appearance of dragon stone with all the holes and craters in it,and in the quest to get it to sink it has had more hot baths than me in the last week and it was held down with a wrecking bar and anything else i could find :lol:.but the stuff still will not sink any ideas?.

i would but its over 20 inches long and 15 inch tall and it takes some force to submerge it.

JenCliBee said:
Give it time, ive had wood take aslong as 6 weeks to fully stay down.

i doubt the missus would let me keep using the bath as some leaching has gone on and the bath is almost brand new......she kicked it out yesterday and even my 5 gallon water change bucket is too small :twisted: .

BigTom said:
Stick a bloody great rock on top of it, that's what I do :p

This is usually what i do and currently doing, place it in the tank in the desired position (if possible) and just keep a big ol rock on it, checking every week or so to see if it will stay down.

BigTom said:
Stick a bloody great rock on top of it, that's what I do :p

it had a 3 foot wrecking bar and four taps holding it down....i got woke up yesterday when everything fell off i thought we were being burgled :lol: .i can't do the in tank thing incase the wood moves and the rocks fall and break the tank the missus would'nt be very happy with 240 litres of water on the living room floor.

Wheelie bin! That's what they're for
:)
Fill it to the brim and but something heavy on the lid to keep it down.
Then practise the art of patience. Sometimes pieces with lots of holes have holes you can't see that hold air of course. Can take forever but once it's almost sunk you can screw it to something that will hold it down.

Best of luck

i had a bit of an idea,i've ordered some long nylon bar and nuts,i'll be drilling through the wood and fastening it to a large plant pot tray and filling it with a bag or so of gravel(in stockings) and rocks to hold it in place and scape around the tray.doing it this way will also give me some height at the rear of the tank.

That is a Good Idea. I like to have a Few Chemical Barrels free for Bogwood, Just chuck it in weighted down and leave it for a few weeks.

as the gravel i intend to use to hold the wood down does it matter that it may not be specifically for aquarium use? i.e intended as a top dressing for pots etc.

Back