• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Slow 60 (ADA 60p low tech)

Well, pygmy cories are my new favorite thing! Thanks to a UKAPS buddy for these adorable creatures. There are a little group of 5 who I’ve seen at least once all happily snuffling about together.
View attachment 203580
I particularly love that they make the CPDs look big…
(Further to the last post, I did lose the second poorly CPD, so waited a good time before adding anything else - all the other fish are fine.)
Tank is well overdue a good trim.

In equally pressing news, my Fe source has run out. I’ve just been using an off the shelf ‘Iron’ additive liquid product, but after reading round including @KirstyF ’s brilliant thread, I’m going to get some DTPA. This is because (a) I don’t really think in my small, non-CO2 tank with moderately hard water I will notice much difference what I get, and (b) I saved a link for some for £6 off eBay which was posted somewhere on ukaps = path of least resistance.
Plant gurus please feel free to advise on (a) before I press buy.
Yes, DTPA works well for softwater tanks. I'd recommend 0.1ppm Fe from DTPA weekly. Eventually if this shows good results, you can reduce it to 0.05 Fe

Hi all,
pygmy cories are my new favorite thing!
I love mine, a lot of people <"struggle with them"> (although I'm guessing that is less true of UKAPS members ), but they are incredibly low maintenance in the right tank.

I've kept them and / or <"Corydoras hastatus"> for the last ~fifteen years and they are just great little fish. For me they win out over <"Corydoras panda"> (another low maintenance option), because while <"C. panda"> is cuter as a baby, <"Corydoras pygmaeus stay cute">, even when adult.

cheers Darrel

Stuffed in some more plants - yes, I know I know.
F0B4A845-1C9F-4A3A-96C5-AE65CAFF9EB9.jpeg
4A49E199-1E9C-465A-B828-3CA4D93DC5EF.jpeg

Not holding out a lot of hope on the pinnatifida, but I’ve always wanted to have a go at it and the splendid plants came in a swap for some raccoon tigers.
At some point in the next couple of months I’m setting up a shallow tank, so to some extent I’m growing things on. Apart from back right where there is little flow, everything is ticking along. Spiralis is brightening up now I’ve thinned the floaters.
Pygmies still snuffling about happily. I wonder about the substrate being overly mulmy, but I have a high plant mass and relatively few fish so I think this is probably ok - and I’ve always assumed leaf litter detritus is a good thing.
Had an adventure with Soilent green - I’m hoping eventually to get otos which I gather like this stuff, so thought I’d see how current critters would take to it. Turns out a little blob goes a really long way… as in, disintegrates and goes everywhere. Happily, the fish and shrimp LOVE it so did a storming job of tidying up what I couldn’t get with a net. I think I’ve got about 50 years worth in the pot at this rate, so shout if anyone wants some!

Ok, Fe sums time. I’ve got 11% FeDTPA. The tank is about 65 litres. I’m aiming at around 0.05 ppm. (All numbers on generous side.)
I reckon this means a weekly dose is c. 30mg, 5-6g in 200ml, dosed 1ml per week.
To those familiar with dosing numbers, does this seem about right? I haven’t done a Pink Tint observation yet.
I’m a bit sad I can’t just chuck some in, unless someone has a convenient way of measuring a third of a gram?

Ok, Fe sums time. I’ve got 11% FeDTPA. The tank is about 65 litres. I’m aiming at around 0.05 ppm. (All numbers on generous side.)
I reckon this means a weekly dose is c. 30mg, 5-6g in 200ml, dosed 1ml per week.
To those familiar with dosing numbers, does this seem about right? I haven’t done a Pink Tint observation yet.
I’m a bit sad I can’t just chuck some in, unless someone has a convenient way of measuring a third of a gram?
Looks like it adds up on my end.
I think it was our benevolent @dw1305 that said one can measure a gram (if you have a unit that will do a gram reliably), and then physically divide the little pile of powder into as equal parts as you can. Our eyes are decent at comparing things 😊

Attachments

• 2023-05-01 23_21_18-Greenshot.png
    2023-05-01 23_21_18-Greenshot.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 96
Bit the bullet, and did first lot of new iron. This means the weekly diet is now:
About 0.05g Fe (11% DTPA) - on the dinky scales
A teaspoon of Epsom salts
6ml-ish TNC complete

Everyone’s still alive so far. Gratuitous fish pics:
7D58A6D8-BB6F-4155-9F9A-2D85930C642A.jpeg

93A1553C-82C7-40C2-9400-18ABECC51E6E.jpeg

And impressed at how pink some of these plants are:

03C730CF-7CBC-431A-8325-5ACA86582CA7.jpeg

BB2088E6-F7D5-4034-A676-A3EDEC05D7D6.jpeg

Biggest problem is the cladophora (?); there’s lots of it round the sponge filter and under the light. I keep pulling it out, and am trying to feed with the power off. I might change the sponge which should remove a lot of it.
Incidentally, I also think I’ve lost all my limpets. I was a bit annoyed when they came in with some plants, but actually I became quite fond of them. I also see very few dinky snails, so I’m wondering if I should feed the critters a touch more to make sure.

Beautiful! 😍🥰
Thanks @Hufsa! The back corners look distinctly less beautiful (poor circulation, bonkers pile of roots + loads of what is probably not Subwassertang), but the beasts need somewhere to hang out in private. I’ve stated to think of the back corners like a sixth form common room - enter at your peril.

The back corners look distinctly less beautiful (poor circulation, bonkers pile of roots + loads of what is probably not Subwassertang), but the beasts need somewhere to hang out in private.
I highly appreciate your courage to run low-tech planted tank.

Hi all,
Incidentally, I also think I’ve lost all my limpets.
I've found they tend to come and go a bit, I don't know if that is because they are always present in the tank, but have large changes in abundance or whether they really go extinct and then are re-introduced with bits of moss etc.

cheers Darrel

I've found they tend to come and go a bit, I don't know if that is because they are always present in the tank, but have large changes in abundance or whether they really go extinct and then are re-introduced with bits of moss etc.
Mine seemed to have been outcompeted by the other snails 🤔
I seem to recall having read this happening to other keepers as well, so im wondering if they're just not very competitive when facing up against the small Planorbis sp. and some of the others.

The kind-of rescape:
0C672788-D202-4C72-9353-597C67D55A46.jpeg

This was terrifying, but over the course of two weeks I removed the big piece of wood at the right, removed a load of extra crypts at the right, and thinned the dense mat of floating plants. I did it in stages so there wouldn’t be too much change at any one time.
Hilariously, it doesn’t look much less full!!!

I haven’t tackled the left. I’m keen to get rid of the sticky cups, but am holding off in case the plants end up in the fabled shallow tank I keep promising myself I will set up.

Hi all,
I removed the big piece of wood at the right, removed a load of extra crypts at the right, and thinned the dense mat of floating plants. I did it in stages so there wouldn’t be too much change at any one time.
Hilariously, it doesn’t look much less full!!!
Bizarre isn't it? I think a tank is like a tardis (or Hermione Granger's handbag for slightly younger viewers), when you come to put the plants back you <"always have more plants than you took out">, even if you have <"had a big trim">.
........ I'm just incredibly lazy, and my tanks have now nearly all reached a state of just having a floating plant, "moss" and ferns. Even now I'm looking at Bolbitis heudelotii and "Susswassertang" (Lomariopsis lineata) and thinking that I could replace them with a slower growing alternative........
I thought I might have a little bit of "Susswassertang" left, but when I broke the tank (60cm tank) down (it had sprung a leak) I had a colander full........

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
As the tank approaches the one year mark, I’ve been neglecting it. Water changes have still been fairly regular, but the clado has got out of control on the heater and filter, and I’ve not done any cleaning for ages.
Below is after Clean Part 1, some concerted toothbrush action and pulling out the stinky green.
C9997FE8-D6CB-4813-B7F7-B8ADBCA3D530.jpeg
Then the little pot on the right fell off ☹️ And then I spotted this guy:
7C655E4E-4430-4716-B9F3-7D7235AA2CCC.jpeg

He’s a ramshorn snail, right? He was moving, so I’m guessing came in as a tiny thing and has been quietly cruising about. Surprise crustacean 🙂

Part 2 will be some more thinning on the left, and trying to get rid of more clado. And find somewhere for the contents of the little pots.

I’m in two minds about the long term for this tank. At some point soon-ish I will need to move it because we need to move the heavy cabinet it is on, but I wonder whether it would make more sense to close it down/partially close down and start again. But that would mean having to set up another tank now so the fish have somewhere to go in the interim. I have the empty glass box(es), just can’t work out where to put it… a 20 litre cube is too small as a temporary refuge for even tiny fish, isn’t it?

Back