• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Slow going, tank on a budget. (Now with moonlights)

Re: Slow going, tank on a budget.

Helps alot mate cheers, just the wet test now to see if it's the same colour as ive used previously lol... will keep on eye out so i can see what it looks like wet before i do an order :).

Thanks again mate :thumbup:

I have a nano tank that i'm planting up tomorrow with it in so if you can hold out a day until I get that planted and make a journal then your golden.

Just Ordered some redmoor from aqua essentials hopefully i wont have to wait too long with the bank holiday before i can start playing around with hardscape ideas :)

jbirley said:
I have a nano tank that i'm planting up tomorrow with it in so if you can hold out a day until I get that planted and make a journal then your golden.

Excellent mate, will take a look once you get it in there :thumbup:. I have a couple of weeks tbh before ive really go to think about getting any as i dont pick the tank up till then but if it looks nice and is pretty much like what ive previously brought then i may get it sooner and let it soak for a while ;).

Good luck with the tank :thumbup:

Really like the build!! Gives me a fair bit of inspiration to go and build one for my 70 litre tank.

It was the "budget" part of the title that made me look at your thread! :lol:

Only thing i want to ask is whether or not the moeller clay you have purchased is any different to Tesco's Low Dust
cat litter which is £2.95 for 10L? Looks very similar to me? :shifty:

Looking forward to seeing it planted!!! :D

Its moler clay so its basically the same thing, however it is not scented like the cat litter.

Well done, it just goes to show that you don't need to spend a fortune to get the bee's and knees. All that is needed is a little creativity and practical nohow. Keep us posted.

Ahh right. Does the scent affect anything? My tank seems to be doing ok?

Looking forward to seeing it come alive!! :)

Troi said:
Well done, it just goes to show that you don't need to spend a fortune to get the bee's and knees. All that is needed is a little creativity and practical nohow. Keep us posted.

Thanks mate! :thumbup:

minnnt said:
Ahh right. Does the scent affect anything? My tank seems to be doing ok?

Looking forward to seeing it come alive!! :)

The scent just means you have to wash and wash and wash cat litter that's all. I'm far to lazy for that!

LOL!! Yeah it took me aaaaaaaaaaaaages!

I received some closed cell foam today to go underneath the tank, hardscape should turn up tomorrow so I can start playing around with ideas :)

Slow going, tank on a budget. (hardscape)

OK so I got a nice large box today with my redmoor inside from Aqua Essentials. I have been playing arnound with hardscapes and could use some input.

HPIM3095.jpg

This is my current favourite, the back left would be filled with either stems on a large crypt or sword. the right will be a carpet plant.

HPIM3097.jpg

HPIM3098.jpg

any ideas would be great.

Please ignore the improvised lighting and background and the muck on the glass :p

Slow going, tank on a budget.

The first definitely looks the best. I'd be tempted to try bank that corner up more too. So it looks like roots hanging down.

Get some weeping tied to the branches and let it grow in. Will look great.

Good luck with it!

Whitey89 said:
The first definitely looks the best. I'd be tempted to try bank that corner up more too. So it looks like roots hanging down.

Get some weeping tied to the branches and let it grow in. Will look great.

Good luck with it!

I was just having that exact same thought sat at my desk looking at it right now :thumbup: will try that now and upload a picture.

My only advice, is to wash the redmoor, wash it again, and then some more. Good old scrub with a good old brush. Ideally have it soaking, as my assumption is that it wont sink. Mine didnt. And when you start soaking, it releases a white mucus, you can after a week, take out, scrub with the good old brush and back to soaking again.

Some say boil it to clean as well as speed up the soak up process. Might be an idea :thumbup:

If you see my sig for my journal, I gave it a quick rinse, and mossed it all up only to find it wont sink :crazy: Cause it took me ages to moss it up I couldnt or didnt want to remove all the moss to boil it so have a rock on it for the last 3 weeks, lol, pics with the rock on my redmoor, lol.

Looks great fella.

Slow going, tank on a budget.

sr20det said:
My only advice, is to wash the redmoor, wash it again, and then some more. Good old scrub with a good old brush. Ideally have it soaking, as my assumption is that it wont sink. Mine didnt. And when you start soaking, it releases a white mucus, you can after a week, take out, scrub with the good old brush and back to soaking again.

Some say boil it to clean as well as speed up the soak up process. Might be an idea :thumbup:

Great advice, that white mucus stuff gets stuck to shrimp and you cant get it off.

My first Crystal reds met their end this way :(

OK cheers on the soaking advice guys :thumbup: If I bank the substrate up more I feel will have to put some substrate supports in to keep it there its pretty light substrate. any good household items I can use for this?

Back