• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Slow going, tank on a budget. (Now with moonlights)

Slow going, tank on a budget.

jbirley said:
OK cheers on the soaking advice guys :thumbup: If I bank the substrate up more I feel will have to put some substrate supports in to keep it there its pretty light substrate. any good household items I can use for this?

Any sort of plastic sheeting with a
Bit of strength. Being a student, you must have seen them see through folders with A4 wallets in them?

Use the covers of them. Or alternatively TGM sell 'substrate supports' that are like a double wall (similar to a cardboard box construction).

Re: Slow going, tank on a budget.

I know some people have tried cut up ice cream tubs?.... not tried it myself but in theory it should work well.

First one definately. Also love it banked up. Very innovative.

But... how much was the Redmoor? Budget? :lol: Wish my idea of budget would stretch to some amazing Redmoor like the piece you have!!

Can't wait to see it planted. Top work upto yet!!

minnnt said:
First one definately. Also love it banked up. Very innovative.

But... how much was the Redmoor? Budget? :lol: Wish my idea of budget would stretch to some amazing Redmoor like the piece you have!!

Can't wait to see it planted. Top work upto yet!!

The redmoor cost me about £30 I have to admit the tank is starting to run me more than planned I have probably broken £200 now total, once I have it all set up I will do a run down of the cost.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Your idea of budget is my idea of 'no way am i paying that' :lol:

This tank is coming along nicely. I like the first pic of the hardscape too. Looking forward to seeing it develop. :)

Well the wood finally sank a few days ago so ordered my plants from aqua essentials and got it all planted up today. so without further adieu
WP_000107.jpg

moved my few harlequins and amano's from my fish only tank along with the filter.

A tip for substrate supports. Go to the pound shop, b&m, poundstretcher etc. And buy a roll of green lawn edging, works very well.

Re: Slow going, tank on a budget. (all planted up)

Well I have had a bit more time today so I got a better photo of the tank all planted up.
justplantedcrop.jpg

Plant list:
Glossostigma elatinoides
Vesicularia ferriei - weeping moss
anubias nana
Hydrophila compacta
Cryptocoryne wendtii brown
Cryptocoryne wendtii green
Pogostemon helferi
Echinodorus compacta
Echinodorus ozelot green
Echinodorus rosea
Sagittaria platyphylla

tim said:
very nice looking tank

Thanks, im relativly happy with it for a first attempt at a planted tank, well apart from my little 15l nano but i don't really count that. There are some bits i will probably change but i will let it grow in abit first to see how it fills out.

Hi,
like the look of this, there is a good balance to the scape which gives a very natural feel :thumbup:
Ady.

Brilliant!!! Really love what you have done!

liking the use of broad leaves to create dappled effect within the tank. Very atmospheric

Thanks for all the great comments guys. :thumbup: really encouraging

Well it has been just over two weeks since planting and everything is going well, a small amount of melting at the start but everything seams to be doing OK now, growth is moderate as to be expected with just liquid co2. The fish are loving the new home. I am still struggling to get a good photo out of our point and shoot (although that could be my lack of skills :shh: )

twoweekon.jpg

Back