• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Slow growing plants

Rodgie

Hi all,

Does the theory of applying abundant amount of nutrients to the tank also count to slow growers like java fern and Anubias?

The idea remains the same but as always it depends.

My ferts recommend 5ml per day for my tank volume but if I had just one plant in there I would be wasting a lot if it.

If you don't want to be wasting fertilizer then you could experiment with different doses over a few weeks reducing the amount untill you notice plant health reduces then you know where the limit is.

Hi all,
Does the theory of applying abundant amount of nutrients to the tank also count to slow growers like java fern and Anubias?
Yes they will grow more quickly with higher levels of CO2 and nutrients.

There are differences to faster growing plants, they may begin to show toxicity problems at higher nutrient loading more quickly then a more productive plant would, and the increase in growth will be much lower than it would be for a fast growing stem.

I think about Aroids, Ferns and Mosses in the same way I would consider Orchids, Bromeliads, Succulents etc. they can subsist on less nutrients than most plants and <"will carry on in slow active growth even at very low nutrient levels">.

cheers Darrel

Reactions: xim
The idea remains the same but as always it depends.

My ferts recommend 5ml per day for my tank volume but if I had just one plant in there I would be wasting a lot if it.

If you don't want to be wasting fertilizer then you could experiment with different doses over a few weeks reducing the amount untill you notice plant health reduces then you know where the limit is.

Okay, my fertz(Seachem flourish) says 1ml twice a week. But I feel like doing it 3 times instead so that algaes won't have a chance to grow. My plants are water spangles, java fern, anubias and banana plant in a 15 gal tall tank. What do you think?

Personally I prefer to dose daily but do whatever suits you.

If your plants are looking healthy then I would continue doing what you are doing. If it's only 1ml doses it's probably not worth trying to reduce it as it would be difficult to measure.

What made you ask? Was it the thought of wasting fertilzer or your plants not doing well?

Honestly my plants seems to have growth every week. Except anubias that happens every two weeks. But I get problems with the older leaves of JF and anubias. JF gets brown spots and that leaf will have holes or yellow. Same thing happened to anubias before I trimmed off all the damaged once. And the banana lilies will melt in time.

I know I have to do better job in cleaning my tank. I don't miss weekly water change of 25 percent. But after reading articles here, I'm gonna perform 50% WC from now on. And lastly I asked because the idea of EI here sounds good to me, but I wanna try using what I have first (liquid fertz) before I buy the dry fertz. So I was wondering if I can do the same theories. I started dosing liquid Co2 now too everyday.

EI basically means you provide more than enough nutrients for the plants so they can take up as much as they need. You don't have to use dry fertz but it does work put cheaper in the long run.

I use an all in one liquid fertiliser and dose everyday slighlty above the recommended dose.

Holes in leaves and turning yellow sounds like some sort of nutrient deficiency so could be worth dosing more see how it goes.

This is my tank when I used to use just liquid co2 and dose Neutro T every day.

IMG_0620.jpg

Awesome tank you have sir! I think that's what I'm gonna keep doing for now. I'll start dosing my fertz every other day too. Thank you for your help!

Back