• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Slow & Steady - First tank!

This is a loverly little tank, I really like it. I'd buy an ADA thermometer as in a small tank like this it will make a world of difference and is quite affordable for the impact it will have visually. I couldn't go without a thermometer as I've had heaters fail and only knew because I glance at the temp when I feed the fish.

Blue jellies are in :) the amanos are wondering who the heck these little blue guys are!!

btzEvRM.jpg

fAfL11V.jpg

r3Zyok7.jpg

I have to say I think my amanos are pretty stunning too!

Just take care when feeding to spread the food about the tank - the Amano's can (& will) easily damage the more delicate Neo's
(this also happens with baby/juvenile neo's in a heavily stocked Neo tank when those scrimmage inducing glass feeding dishes are used)

So the blue jellies have vanished, one I saw in the filter compartment today, one died from a parasite :( the two amanos are still going strong though.

I also picked up a betta today, made the mistake of “just having a look” in a fish shop and saw this gorgeous guy, I couldn’t resist:

eiLs2Jr.jpg

k40yJ84.jpg

Rjo6TBE.jpg

So the blue jellies have vanished, one I saw in the filter compartment today, one died from a parasite :( the two amanos are still going strong though.

I also picked up a betta today, made the mistake of “just having a look” in a fish shop and saw this gorgeous guy, I couldn’t resist:

eiLs2Jr.jpg

k40yJ84.jpg

Rjo6TBE.jpg
Stunning Betta :) What's his name?

Tank update:
UyOyfod.jpg

I’m getting a bit of algae, especially on the left side. It’s my own fault because I had a week or so of not being consistant with the lights or ferts/co2, but what can I do to improve it? I don’t want the algae taking over!!

I took the pump out today to turn the flow down a little, and discovered that the pump tube was grim:

CaNaeVZ.jpg

I cleaned it but I’m a bit concerned to see it there given that it’s supposed to be clean water coming out! The filter sponge has been awfully clean for that to have been so sludgy, I’m wondering if I should have siliconed up the lower inlet, I can only think the water is coming in there, going underneath the sponge then going straight into the pump.

Does anyone have a recommendation for some aquarium safe silicone? I’m thinking the shrimps and Hugo won’t mind being in a bucket for 24hrs so I can seal it, would this be ok to do??

Sounds like a good plan. I've used a few different silicones and none stood out as being better than another. Just go for it! One thing to bear in mind though... a long shot but... you may have just removed your beneficial bacteria with that clean so just keep an eye on water parameters the next few days. I think you'll be absolutely fine in a planted tank with low stocking but it's always worth taking these precautions!

5zwtFpQ.jpg

Couple of days of no lights, and a couple of days of only dosing co2 seems to have done the trick for the algae. I’ve just got 4 more amanos (6 in total) so hopefully everything will be sparkling now!

Back