• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Small cube disaster

Aqua360

Hi all,

Recently I made a thread on a small 10 litre cube I acquired, with the hopes of somewhat planting it; and perhaps adding some shrimp.

Well needless to say, I had to break the whole thing down last night; and am trying to retrospectively analyse where I went wrong.

To summarise, I layered the bottom of the cube with tropica plant substrate, then a gradient slope of Maui quartz sand.

In the middle was some manzanita wood, with tied on mini Nana anubias, Java moss, and some marsilea carpet plant at the bottom. At the back of the plant was a single staurogyne rubescens (SP?) And a cryptocoryne wisii (SP?)

Anyway, I'd had a small sponge cycling in my other tank, which was inserted after 2 weeks, along with a catappa leaf for some shrimp. Liquid ferts were added once. I'm well aware of cycling Aquariums, but had perhaps foolishly assumed I'd get away with the sponge and leaf, due to adding only 3 red cherries.

After a couple of weeks, I noticed a distinct smell from the tank; as well as a single dead cherry, the others were slow and sluggish.

I noted that the tank received a lot of heat from a nearby radiator, and strong sunlight from the window; which may have had a detrimental effect.

No food was added, just the catappa leaf!

Well that's me back to square one. My rough plan now is to do an anubias only tank, see if I can keep it fresh before considering any live shrimp etc again.

That or I'll try the 20litre cube for more error margin.

Thoughts welcome, trying to learn from this one. Pic below, (originally dwarf hairgrass)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160401-014338.png
    Screenshot_20160401-014338.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 157
The heat will rapidly rise in such a small body of water so I would move the tank before attempting anything else. I also wouldn't add a whole catappa leaf to a 10l tank. Cut one up and add a small piece.

Sorry to hear of the disaster. You definitely want to site it somewhere better, keep it away from direct sunlight, draughts, heat sources etc. I would personally wait longer for cycling too. As you say, treat it as a learning experience, you won't make the same mistakes next time.

Thanks guys, haven't used catappa leaf before; that is a bit of a red face lol :oops:

Yeah definitely need to change location, hopefully I'll come back with something improved :)

catappa leaves are great i use them all the time the shrimp love them,(i dont think it was the catappa leaves more likely the heat) the only thing you need to watch with leaves is if you use too many they release tannins and make water more acidic and lower ph. If water is too acidic shrimp will have difficulty molting

heat all the way. I've had shrimp walk out of my tank when the temps were 33 degrees C.

I've set up the cube again, in a sheltered area away from radiators etc. The set-up itself has a nano heater, led and I've installed a small airstone; planted with anubias, staurogyne and dwarf hairgrass, with liquid ferts, and liquid carbon (all relative quantities).

Its currently running, with the lights on timer for 5 hours per day currently.

I just need to think carefully about how and when I'll add red cherries, might be too risky.

Pleased to see you are back up and running with this one. Looking forward to an update and some pics sometime!

thanks mate, fingers crossed it works :lol:

My phone is still knackered camera wise, really need to get it fixed asap!

Back