• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Small interesting/unusual fishes - suggestions wanted

Dwarf puffers? You could have up to 6 in 60L. Cool little fish and the most interactive little fish I've experienced.

Dwarf puffers? You could have up to 6 in 60L. Cool little fish and the most interactive little fish I've experienced.
I agree dwarf puffers are nice I have just got some myself yesterday, however I think most people would agree that 6 is far too many for a 60l tank, more like 2-4 max.

I agree dwarf puffers are nice I have just got some myself yesterday, however I think most people would agree that 6 is far too many for a 60l tank, more like 2-4 max.

I would disagree, the general rule for dp's is one per 10L. But of course less is always better. My 3 are fully grown at less than 20mm each and are more than happy in my 45l with a few ottos and shrimp.

I would disagree, the general rule for dp's is one per 10L. But of course less is always better. My 3 are fully grown at less than 20mm each and are more than happy in my 45l with a few ottos and shrimp.

I would give puffers twice that space. Used to have 5 in a 90l and thought they were a bit cramped. Keeping them with shrimp and otos is always a gamble as well and seems to depend on individual personalities.

Hi all,
I got 5 new Trichopsis pumila (Dwarf Sparkling Gourami) a fortnight ago with a very old credit note from MA, and they have coloured up really well and have already spawned (in a hollow floating log).

They really are great little fish, but I can confirm definitely not suitable with cherry shrimps.

I think I've got sexing them sorted as well. If you look at the fish side on the male has a continuous central band (along the lateral line), and the females is much more "splodgy". This photo (not mine) shows male in front, and the female behind.
1ae7725c.jpg

and another female, I got this from a German link, where the triangle, just below the splodgy central bar, indicates the position of the ovary:
trichopsispumilaviiigesuw1.jpg

cheers Darrel

Ha, perhaps this thread should be renamed "small interesting fish...that don't eat cherry shrimp"

I've got Fundolopanchax Gardneri, but sadly no male Cherry Shrimp, as one by one the male got them into his oversized mouth (natural selection has left me with a population of too large females only!) amusing fish though and easy to breed.

Peacock Gobies are also interesting - I think they may be compatible with shrimp? Anyone know?

Hi all,
I've got Fundolopanchax Gardneri, but sadly no male Cherry Shrimp, as one by one the male got them into his oversized mouth (natural selection has left me with a population of too large females only!)
That is always what happens to me as well, the male shrimps are always swimming around (presumably looking for moulting females) and are smaller, and the females just sit there eating. End result an all female "population".

cheers Darrel

Mine love them :p

They're not terribly good hunters though so don't seem to pick too many off, but they certainly try.
...good to know the grass isn't any greener with gobies rather than killis...

Hi all,
Corydoras pygmaeus and C. hastatus are Cherry shrimp safe, and you can keep self sustaining colonies of both shrimps and catfish without any problem.

I like mine, but particularly C. hastatus is very elusive, and I didn't see any of mine for several years before they re-appeared (when I added some C. pygmaeus).

cheers Darrel

Sorry couldn't help myself, just wanted to share a couple of pics of my new dwarf puffers, got them yesterday and they are great little fish. They have taken up residence in my moss tree and use it as a nest. Image quality is a bit poor as I have my DSLR out on loan so these were snapped with my phone, can't wait to get me camera back and shoot some macro shots:)

8489485531_2651540dd9_c.jpg

8489498503_b06bb63903_c.jpg

Reactions: tim
I have always wanted Bumblebee Gobies for my hardwater tank, gorgeous little fish with lots of character. Unfortunately they are tricky feeders demanding live foods so not suitable for me. Worth a look as an interesting unusual fish.

Ian, i have 4 of the little fellows, they get fed frozen brine\bloody worm\daphnia, no problem feeding them, they wont take flake or pellets. just make sure the food is moving, a slight current etc. They look hilarious tackling a blood worm. great little fish

Ian, i have 4 of the little fellows, they get fed frozen brine\bloody worm\daphnia, no problem feeding them, they wont take flake or pellets. just make sure the food is moving, a slight current etc. They look hilarious tackling a blood worm. great little fish

I'm jealous, mine won't eat anything that isn't alive... wiggling frozen bloodworm will trick them into taking a bite but they always spit it back out again. They'll take microworm with disdain but go absolutely mad chasing Hyallela and enjoy mosquito larvae and rat-tailed maggots from the pond.

Have also seem them gang up to take on adult shrimp immediately after moulting, but they ignore them the rest of the time.

Back