• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Small low tech tank or larger tech tank easier?

Ben Hooper

I have a Rio 180 and a Small 40l (ish) tank. Rio is going to be a normal planted tank but undecided on fish etc and the small tank will be a planted shrimp tank.

Which is easier though low tech or high tech?

I have everything for low tech so may have to start it first but just wondered...

Hi all,
Low tech is easier in terms of smaller water changes minimal dosing etc but you pay for it in a much slower growth
It really depends what you want. Like Alastair says, low tech is a lot more straight forward. This is mainly because as well as plant growth being slower, when things "go wrong" it happens more slowly as well. The same applies to water volume, in a large water volume a dead fish etc causes less of a problem than it would in a smaller tank.

The easiest tanks to look after are large volume planted tanks with a low bio-load, mainly because these are very stable.

cheers Darrel

The small tank will be for shrimp and will be a stop gap to the larger tank (which won't have a low bio load)...

Having said all this I may end up planting both up as a local supplier will allow me to order from them if its a larger order :)

On a small tank is there any point dosing if the lights aren't upgraded?

Back