• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Small particles in the water

flaviu.vlaicu

Hello.I have a small problem with the water from my tank.It tends to have a brown color made by the mangrove root that is in the aquarium and I also see small particles in the water.I have a JBL e700 filter with ceramic material and 2 more compartments that have only sponges.What should I add in the filter so I can eliminate the small impurity's in the water and also the color ? Can I add regular wool from the pharmacy or it is necessary to add special filter floss.Will the filter floss resolve this problem ? Thank you

Acitvated carbon is the usual recommendation for removing colour and either floss or fine filter sponge should remove the particles. I've never tried it but i'd have thought that cotton wool (from the pharmacy) would beocme too waterlogged and impede flow
Cheers!
Matt

Flaviu
The brown colour is the tanins comimg out of the wood - did you soak it in hot water before adding it, leave it as it is, over a period of time it will stop leaching. As for the small particals within the water try and buy a fine floss filter pad (its white in colour) as this will trap small particals, cotton wool is to dense and will dramatically reduce your water flow.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/filt ... edia/36845

Regards
paul.

I have bought some fliter floss and I have managet to remove all the small particles from the water and now the water quality is very high and crystal clean.I also wanted to buy some PEAT form my filter to make the water more acid but I don't know what to put the PEAT in cause it comes RAW without a bag to place it in.

Hi,

Use the foot from a pair of tights or a pop sock and just tie a knot in it at the open end. Alternativly you can buy filter media bags if you've money to burn instead though.

Regards, Chris.

Back