• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Smallest Arc 20L: Now with video

SmallestFrog

Birthday present :D

2012-12-05-1808.jpg

2012-12-05-1810.jpg

Plants:
Microsorum pteropus ''Narrow''
Cryptocoryne Wendtii "tropica"
Anubias
Riccia
Weeping Moss
Assorted crypts from Hoggie (hogan53)
Blyxa Japonica from JohnC

CO2: Tropica Plant Growth System 60. Bought mainly because cheap, cheerful, and much more of a low tech solution for now until I decide what to do about proper pressurised CO2 for my tanks.

Wood: Bogwood from ebay and World of Water Watford.

Fauna: None right now - shrimp to come once cycled.

edit: now with video!

http://youtu.be/MDSA1cIDd6Y

Re: Smallest Arc 20L

Why don't I get birthday presents like that 8) I usually get socks or after shave. Looking good too mate.

AverageWhiteBloke said:
Why don't I get birthday presents like that 8) I usually get socks or after shave. Looking good too mate.

For the same reason Santa will be passing you by this year again... Cos he made his list, checked it twice, and realised you're naughty, not nice ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But if its any compensation I have resorted to buying my own presents nowadays to make sure I get what I want :thumbup:

But if its any compensation I have resorted to buying my own presents nowadays to make sure I get what I want

True I seem to treat myself these days. What type of lighting came with it frog?

Its a 9W (I think) Arc Pod. Can't say I'm a fan of it, as it broke within a day and a half and I had a long drive to go get it replaced, but it'll do for now. Next year some time I'll switch to LED.

Got CO2 injection... could up how much I put in, but not too sure what kind of levels will be safe for the shrimp.

Have you got a Drop checker to check co2 levels? I would up it slowly each day Until your happy with the results.
I've got red cherries in my co2 injected tank, and they do fine up until the drop checker goes lemon yellow, then you can tell there slightly uncomfortable.

Be careful with co2 though, too much to soon and you'll asphyxiate your livestock. It's a fine line between optimal co2 and too much for the shrimp. Just dance on the side of Lower co2 injection rates till you feel comfortable.

Btw, what is your co2 routine? Do you have a solenoid to automatically turn it on and off?

Cheers,

Do have a drop checker but it is... temperamental. Its a JBL drop checker. Came with two bottles of solution, both say the same thing, CO2 drop checker fluid or something like that. Anyway, they are identical. But one will turn green, the other won't, no matter what. So frankly I'm not sure if I can really trust either.

I am using the tropica growth system so I just fill the chamber to 80ml an hour before lights on.

The JBL drop checker is possibly my most regretted aquarium purchase.

Wow, the JBL one was 3 times that. Will take him up on that... thanks Hoggie.

Whitey89- It does actually run out quite quickly. I normally fill it an hour before lights on, and its finished an hour or two in to the photo period. I guess once I have a working drop checker I will be able to see whats going on.

I am wondering if its escaping from the pipe. The tropica system comes with a one-way valve, that seems to take a bit of pressure to blow through, but perhaps its letting the gas escape and the valve is more for accidental water syphoning?

I shall plug the end of the pipe later after filling the chamber and see what happens.

This lack of co2 during the photoperiod will inevitably cause this withering you are witnessing.

I doubt there'll be a leak, just your plants are in demand of the co2, especially the blyxa, as its particularly greedy in terms of uptake.

Cheers,

Back