• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Snail infestation MAJOR

Snails are an important part of the Eco- system. They are not a pest.

If they are multiplying, if you are becoming over- run, then you are over- feeding.

I get an out break of snails now and then, I collect them buy using a courgette halved, boil it for a few mins, add a screwcumber, in a clean jam jar on it's side, put in aquarium, voila! easy to lift out and dispose. Sometimes I will crush a few, and put in my other tank for my dwarf chain loach .......satisfying ;)

you could just hang some lettuce (not iceberg) on a string in your tank and get it out in the morning...many snail will be on it...easy and friendly snail trap
Puffer fish eat them like no other but you will need to be able to feed them after he/she ate all your snails.

I don't overfeed but introduced an almighty infestation on some plants.
Assassin snails are my friend.:thumbup:

Try eSHa Gastropex (it's shrimp safe), it got rid of 99.9% of the snails in my low-energy tank. Then after several substantial water changes I introduced assassins and they finished the job. Try to manually remove as many snails as possible first to prevent the rotting carcasses from polluting your tank water.

Snails are an important part of the Eco- system. They are not a pest

Snails maybe an important part of some ecosystems...but not my planted tank:bored:
In well balanced natural/semi-natural ecosystems there are checks and measures which prevent pestilent population explosions, these are often lacking in artificial environments like our tanks, therefore sometimes our intervention is required to re-establish equilibrium. Plus snails add little if nothing to the aesthetics or functioning of an aquascape, and are often vectors for fish disease:geek:

KILL THEM...KILL THEM ALL:mad:

"Snails maybe an important part of some ecosystems...but not my planted tank:bored:"

Have to agree Troi, Even the assassins are laying eggs all over my plants, looking at the price on Ebay I could be a wealthy man soon:D

Well personally I am very happy that I have a good population of Malaysian trumpet snails in my planted tank.

They eat decaying leaves, mulch etc. they eat any diatom algae on the tank walls. They sift through the sand and they prevent anaerobic build- ups of sulfur gases. I wouldn't ever want to get rid of them...

I agree with that one, i had a mts and i loved it, but he died. If it was a few of them id be happy but its literally hundreds of bloody pond snails so they dont look appealing in the slightest! Dont get me wrong theyve kept it very clean for me!
Darren

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I've seen a red ramshorn snail population explode in a tank that doesn't have fish or even get fed. I dont buy this overfeeding fish bull, but its the first thing to be said when someone asks about snails. They could be thriving on poor plant health/algae issues.
Esha didnt work in that tank, so i wouldn't recommend it. I've had to start feeding my clown loach more because all the snails died mysteriously. its just happened in my small tank too, i wish i knew why because all the shrimp are still alive

When you consider that the little blighters are hermaphroditic and can lay well over 100 eggs at a time, and then throw in a short life cycle and exponential population growth, you have recipe for escagot soupe.
As for eSHa I've used it a few times and it's worked every time. However, common oversights which can have a negative effect on its efficacy are filtering over chemically active media such as carbon, UV, oxidisers, and resins etc.
And absolutely, I don't include the beloved specimen snails that have been introduced on purpose in my extreme prejudice...just the unwelcome pests that turn up on plants...

Just scrubbies in the filter no fancy chemical absorbing media All the esha did was softned all the shells and killed a handfull.
If you sex assasin snails and just add one sex then they will eat pest snails and not multiply otherwise your just replacing one pest with another

Yes but assassins are nowhere near as prolific and are easily removed. They even cannibalise their own young to an extent. That said, lots of aquarists are happy with their snails, each to his/her own;).

I absolutely never see my snails during the day. They are all under the sand. If I come downstairs an hour after lights out, I see loads of them on the glass and on the wood etc. They're not nocturnal as such, they just prefer the night- time because the pH of the water is above 7, and the water is slightly cooler, and the other fish don't try to eat them!

Since I never see them during the day, they don't worry me

Put a lettuce leaf in at lights off 10 mins later, lettuce leaf full of snails,

I used to keep puffers so would have paid postage for them ;)

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

Back