• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

So many problems I don't know where to start!

I'd never have thought to get algae off like that! Thanks for the tips!

Quick question... tank one only has about an inch of pea gravel - thinner in some spots. Is it worth getting more to make it easier for the plants to root?

Just thought I'd add as I am in the Oxford area. The Gold Fish Bowl is a nice looking shop but it is very expensive, I have found in my experiance their plants aren't good quality. They do have a nice selection of ferts and equipment though.

I'd suggest ordering your ferts online.

There is a decent Maidenhead Aquatics in Wheatley just off the M40 at juntion 8A that has a good quality plant tank.

It wasn't cheap, I agree with that! Fantastic selection though. There's a MA in Bracknell that I usually use, but I went in there since I was going to Oxford. Although it was quite a hike from the centre! I'm planning to get TPN+ from ebay ASAP.

(LOVE the cute chibi GL btw!)

Hi,

Not sure if anyone else does but when my kids finish their electronic toothbrushes i grab them for tank cleaning. I don`t have major issues but i do get the odd spot on the glass and also rocks (i can get to all the crevices) and a couple of seconds with a electronic toothbrush works miracles and it has so far never scratched the glass :) On my newest tank i have had a bit of brown algae appearing on the sides, again a couple of seconds with the electronic toothbrush and it`s completely gone. It`s saved us alot of time cleaning.

Shop wise if you get a chance try Shirley Aquatics in Yarnton (just outside oxford) and my favourite Water Gardens in Swindon :)

@ Spang - Where is goldfish bowl shop? Never seen it and i`m in Oxford in the next couple of weeks :)

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

ukco2guy said:
Hi,
@ Spang - Where is goldfish bowl shop? Never seen it and i`m in Oxford in the next couple of weeks :)

Cheers,

It's on Magdelen Road. Between Iffley and Cowley Road.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=OX4+1RQ ... 62,,0,7.68

It's a very impressive looking shop. If you are into marine they probably have the biggest species selection in Oxfordshire. They do have an amazing selection of fish though even for tropical. They have quite a big plant tank but I always find the plant's aren't the best quality although I have seen much worse ( the best thing about the plant tank is, that it is on eye level rather than down low ). They also stock a massive selection of dry goods, and have a mass of nice wood ( the wood is very pricey though ). Their website : http://www.thegoldfishbowl.co.uk/

The best lfs I have found in Oxford for plants is the Maidenhead in Wheatley just outside oxford close to junction 8A but it is probably on par with any big Maidenhead store.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 78,,0,7.85

Hope this helps

Just wanted to re-iterate the sentiments expressed. As an example one percula clownfish (yes nemo) pair in maidenhead aquatics near me is £40. The goldfish bowl was £100! Although saying that the place does have loads of tanks set up so is very good for inspiration.

They are definitely expensive! Their bettas *started* at £14.99! However they had the best selection I have *ever* seen. I looked at the plants, but even moss balls were nearly £5.

By the way, tank 2 is slowly improving, but I think tank 1 is too underplanted to really compete with the algae, so I may get a couple of cheap plants to bulk it out.

I haven't, but I feel I need to put a bit more effort in first! :p

Here is tank 2 in its current state:
20100910_004.jpg

Looks tons better!! Or should I say betta ! Haha I couldn't resist :)

Mine hated cherry shrimp and amano's but doesn't even notice otto's if you could get one I bet he would make light work of that algae on the filter.

What substrate is that it looks very 'earthy'?

Have you ordered your TPN+? There's a 250ml bottle with postage going for £7.00 in the forsale thread. :)

I haven't yet - should have the funds in a couple of days though. I'll have a look - this is my 25th post, so I should be able to access that section now or very soon. So far the improvement has just been from easycarbo and leaf zone... figured I may as well use them up while I was waiting. So hopefully the TPN+ will really improve things. I think the betta likes it better. :p Otos sound good... I've been thinking of adding to that tank anyway. I could probably get away with three.

The substrate is eco-complete and given the price of the stuff, I've been very disappointed.

Yeah its a good thread to have access to haha. How many liters of eco complete did you use? Do u cap it?

Still improving... the newer plants were taken from tank 1, which I've decided definitely needs more gravel.... I cleaned it yesterday and the slightest disruption unroots everything. But at least tank 2 is getting there and the algae is now food for three otos.

20100926_001.jpg

Thanks!

I missed out on the TPN on the sale forum, but still intend to get some.

I suspect this thread has now run it's course, but it's been SO educational. :)

Back