Soaking driftwood

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by fishkeeper, 12 Jun 2009.

1. fishkeeper

fishkeeper Member

In the preparations for the rescape of my tank, I'm looking to purchase a lot of wood (no idea what type). Is it ok to soak the woods in 2 3 year old garden water butts filled with rain water in my garden? If yes, how long would the wood need to be soaked for please?

2. rawr

rawr Member

I don't see a problem with it. Just give it a good scrub and wash when it comes out just in case though.

The typical wood usually takes a few weeks to fully sink, but it does vary depending on the type of wood/size etc.

3. Stu Worrall

Stu Worrall Forum Moderator Staff Member

ive done this with my redmoore but it took a while to soak. I ended up speeding it up by putting it on the cooker in a pot to boil for an hour. after that it sunk straight away

4. Superman

Superman Member

If you can't boil it, I put it into the sink and fill it with boiling water from the kettle.
    Hot water helps to open the grain up in the wood so the air comes out easier.