• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sodastream as a backup

tubamanandy

Had a pressurised CO2 system running for many years.

Recently purchased a 425gr empty Sodastream bottle and adapter to use as a backup when my 2Kg FE runs out (whilst I try to keep a spare its not always possible). Whilst I know that, economically its much more expensive than getting my FE refilled (£18), it should prove a good backup.

Anyone using a Sodastream successfully on their tank ? Is there anything I need to be careful of - presumably they maybe a bit safer than a 2Kg FE bottle. I notice that there is a little hexagonal nut on the top of the Sodastream bottle - anyone know if this is a gas cuttoff ?

Ive been using the soda stream bottle setup for a few months now.
In order for me to use the bottle with the reg - standard din477 connection - I bought the soda stream adaptor from co2supermarket.
The adapter screws in reg and bottle screws into the adapter.

No problems so far.

i have just started with a sodastream system c/o co2 supermarket and i did find that i lost alot of gas from the cylinder when first attaching the regulator , it leaked like a gale .
ptfe tape has helped somewhat but i'm still not convinced about the cost of using these cylinders long term. one thing in their favour is that i can get a refill v.simply from my local high st ......

I get through one bottle in just over a month on my 120L.
Bought an FE off EBay as it was working out to be a rennet a month.
I'll keep a bottle as an emergency but it hasn't really worked out as a cost saving setup.
FE all the way.

Agreed. Could get a few months outta it.
At least 2-3 months on a 50L tank.

Hey guys, new to the forum and saw this and thought I could help. I use a SS bottle on my heavily planted, high surface agitation 150l tank and the bottle last me 4 months at bubble rate of 1 BpS, drop checker is always green. Not had any problems with leaks - just gotta make sure it's tightened on.

I have a pH monitor so I only add CO2 when it's required which perhaps is why I get good duration from it, but even before I had the monitor it was on a timer for 8 hours a day at 1 bubble/sec and still got 3 months from it. Not sure how you managed one month on a 120l tank with yours russ - what rate and duration were you running it at?

For tanks under 200l a SS bottle is ideal, anything over that and I'd look at a FE.

Ta

Egor

Back