• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project Solenoid 12volt extension cable....solution found!

G H Nelson

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hi Crew
I would like to increase the length of the power cable to the Solenoid/Reg!
Does anyone know which...cable I need.
I purchased one from Amazon but the jack plug doesn't fit?
P1090067.JPG

P1090065.JPG

Cheers!

That looks like a bog standard 2.1 or 2.5mm barrel connector on the solenoid. What did you purchase from Amazon? Is there a mention of the size on the solenoid or regulator, or can you measure the diameter of the existing plug?

Last edited:
If you are confident soldering, you can extend the cable, I would use glue lined heat shrink tube to seal it

If your unsure or connector size there are little kits with adapters to a variety of barrel connector sizes, I've used them before for a speaker with a non-standard charge plug.

Soldering is also an option as already mentioned but if your not confident, I'd look to either crimp connectors (kits on Amazon can be had for cheap), or solder-heat shrink splices that can done with just a heat gun.

*edit: The link isn't coming through right using my phone so here's a screen grab instead

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk
13e99b10480049334936972be957177f.jpg

Purchased some of these converters from Amazon.
Amazon product ASIN B09VGS7KLTThe white-tipped DC Barrel adapter fitted so all good.
Tested with the newer longer cable and the solenoid switched on and off :happy:
P1090069.JPG

P1090070.JPG

P1090071.JPG

Cheers!

Adhesive lined heat shrink tubing is another good way to fix them together, I use that stuff a LOT with DIY projects. Glad you got the plug size ID'd and ironed out a solution!

Adhesive lined heat shrink tubing is another good way to fix them together, I use that stuff a LOT with DIY projects. Glad you got the plug size ID'd and ironed out a solution!
Thanks got there in the end!
Was going to purchase some calipers but that was another £20.
Still, all good and I can use the cables I purchased....for other solenoids if needed.
I got a glue gun and black glue so will use that.;)
Cheers

Back