• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Solenoid workings

Nick potts

Back with another likey rather obvious question.

I was just taking apart an old reg that I won't be using, planning on using the solenoid that was attached to it, but from looking at it now it's unattached I can't see how it works. I know I am missing something very simple here, but I excel at that :)

Worth reusing? Or was this designed to be used with this reg (seems unlikely given it's a very cheap one)

Thanks

Pics

Top that was attached to reg
20210301_171157.jpg

Bottom
20210301_171206.jpg

Full
20210301_171215.jpg

Reg where it was attached
20210301_171227.jpg

It's designed to work all together the solenoid moves allowing the gas to travel between the two holes I guess. When off the piston blocks the centre hole so no gas flow

when the solenoid is 'on' and electromagnet pulls the piece with a spring on it back into the body, allowing gas to go through the holes. When it is 'off' the magnet is off, and the spring returns it to block off.

It's designed to work all together the solenoid moves allowing the gas to travel between the two holes I guess. When off the piston blocks the centre hole so no gas flow
when the solenoid is 'on' and electromagnet pulls the piece with a spring on it back into the body, allowing gas to go through the holes. When it is 'off' the magnet is off, and the spring returns it to block off.

Thank you both.

I understand how it is supposed to work (kind of) :), Just not how this one is stopping the gas.

As you can see from the pic below, the gas enters from behind and then left to the needle valve, I don't see how just blocking that centre hole ( it doesn't cover the second hole) would stop gas flow.

I thought at first it might have pushed something up through the hole to cut the gas but no.

20210301_190836.jpg

When you unscrew the nut from the bottom picture you can slide of the case... Then you pull out a metal cylinder with a magnetized springloaded plunger in it, attached to the valve... In the casing is a coil, when the relay comes On the coil gets power and magnetizes the valve, and it's pulled up/down and opening the valve. And visa versa, if the power cuts Off the plunger is demagnetized and valve closes under the spring load. No power no gas... :thumbup:

I think you need to source new connecting hardware to repurpose the solenoid to just run it inline, the connectors look like they only work with that bottle regulator and that manifold. The bottle pressure and needle valve gauges all come off that manifold so there will be one way plumbing inside that manifold and the spiral channel connector on the solenoid looks like part of this mechanism. It’s not quite a straightforward solenoid in its current configuration.

:)

I think you need to source new connecting hardware to repurpose the solenoid to just run it inline, the connectors look like they only work with that bottle regulator and that manifold. The bottle pressure and needle valve gauges all come off that manifold so there will be one way plumbing inside that manifold and the spiral channel connector on the solenoid looks like part of this mechanism. It’s not quite a straightforward solenoid in its current configuration.

:)
What you have there is a 3-way solenoid valve.

Thanks X3NiTH, i think i will just buy a new one as you say, bit to much fiddling for the price of them

Back