• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Some inspiration from Ariege

BigTom

Hi all,

Had a lovely break in the south of France last week. Absolutely roasting, so took shelter in the forests and hills and ended up snapping quite a lot of plants while pootling about - thought you lot might appreciate them!

e1dbf22f64437ab5646066dd16e01681-d6gw7zs.jpg

roots_by_hairytoes-d6gw7zh.jpg

pink_flower_by_hairytoes-d6gw7yk.jpg

ferns_by_hairytoes-d6gw7wq.jpg

yellow_flower_by_hairytoes-d6gw7xi.jpg

stream_by_hairytoes-d6gw7vf.jpg

bed_by_hairytoes-d6gw7x3.jpg

tree_by_hairytoes-d6gw7w5.jpg

beech_by_hairytoes-d6gw7y6.jpg

This last one was really cool - petrified moss! The water here flows out of limestone and is incredibly hard, carbonates precipitate out and are held by the mosses growing in the water, eventually forming huge overhanging sheets of what I can only describe as mossrock. Eventually it becomes tufa, of which there was lots scattered about.

mossfalls_by_hairytoes-d6gw7z8.jpg

Attachments

• yellow_flower_by_hairytoes-d6gw7xi.jpg
    yellow_flower_by_hairytoes-d6gw7xi.jpg
    543 KB · Views: 80
  • tree_by_hairytoes-d6gw7w5.jpg
    tree_by_hairytoes-d6gw7w5.jpg
    738 KB · Views: 96
  • beech_by_hairytoes-d6gw7y6.jpg
    beech_by_hairytoes-d6gw7y6.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 98
  • mossfalls_by_hairytoes-d6gw7z8.jpg
    mossfalls_by_hairytoes-d6gw7z8.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 95
Ooh, I like that one with the white roots (4th from bottom). It looks like frost but obviously not if it was roasting!

Some great photos Tom.
You couldn't fail to have a nice time there!
Cheerio,

Lovely!

A few years ago I visited Plitvice national park in Croatia. This is famous for formations of what they call Travertine Dams, which is moss/calcium carbonate formed into tufa, a lot like you describe. If you don't know the place it's worth a google image search!

Lovely!

A few years ago I visited Plitvice national park in Croatia. This is famous for formations of what they call Travertine Dams, which is moss/calcium carbonate formed into tufa, a lot like you describe. If you don't know the place it's worth a google image search!

Just had a google, those Plitvice lakes look absolutely stunning. Added to the bucket list!

:) It can get a bit touristy, but in a nicely managed way with wooden walkways etc. (it helped that it was raining a lot of the day I was there, especially given that it probably looks more beautiful in the rain). A family friend who now lives nearby told me that there are other valleys near to it, where locals go and that have not been made into parks but are every bit as jaw-dropping.

Back