• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Some of my Shrimp...

Thanks Lemsip...

I have finally forced myself to perform a water change after 3+ weeks :shifty:
Spotted a berried BTO :clap:
Need to spend more time on them racks... Lazy me.

If I manage to raise any babies you are more than welcome ;)
I have also installed some heaters in some of the tanks because the room is heated just with oil electrical heater.
Set the heaters at 22 celsius to back the oil heater up.
Also tried to darken the room as tanks are by the window and some of them got quite a lot of diatoms due to excess light. Surprisingly no GDA or green water. I shall be ordering more various shrimp at the end of the month to increase stock levels.

Thanks guys...
Good news I have spotted that remaining berried blue bee today. Hopefully the babies survive.
Interesting why all died but just 2 survived afterall.

So I have received a TDS and PH pens today. You dont want to hear the numbers :lol:
Tap TDS 500
All tanks have akadama substrate
Shrimp tanks TDS around 340
PH at 7.3-7.5
So adults are ok but I dont think babies will be. I have managed to raise just 7 CBS before out of about 5 berried females.
Buying RO unit today and will have to adapt my motorcycle to carry 2x25l canisters to the office. Good that it is not far.
I do want to make it right so ready to struggle :)
2 cycling tanks with florabase give TDS around 240 and PH at 6.9 I think high KH probably does not allow to drop PH further.

TDS in my big office tank is 600 :woot: due to mini landscape rock and exhausted akadama.
Ph is about 6.8 due to co2

Hah finally you do something about it :) When I mixed RO/TAP 50/50 water and placed to tank with amazonia KH went to 0, GH3.3, PH 6.4 and TDS 110 (down from 200) so about right for CRS/CBS, so maybe same with colombo.

Without active soil I have to do around 1/4 TAP and rest RO to get KH2 GH5 and ph 6.4-6.5 with a bit of CO2.

Also do not measure hot or too cold tap water as your TDS will be measured incorrectly. Just normal room temperature.

The interesting question is what ph will i get with RO and akadama mix. RO ph is on acidic side, right?
Also will try to get amazonia for wholesale price.
Anyways its a lot of money.
WIll it neutralize in the tank overtime?
I am also thinking about encreasing the number of tanks to about 30 maybe :thumbup:

Hmm. Tried to google it couple days ago and some say it is acidic.
I guess active soil might be the only way then or a bit of co2.
I shall try all possible ways to find out which works better and get experience.
I am happy my crazy massive import went well otherwise i would be put off from shrimp keeping for a while :lol:
At the moment I am loosing blue pearls to some reason. They seem to turn white and die in couple days one by one.
Might it be bacterial infection?

Just measured RO water and it is PH 6.45. So basically if you get CaSo4 + MgSo4 you get KH0 and some GH and TDS and good PH. Akadama should not affect water in any way.

Now copying from James' planted tanks web page I hope ho does not mind :)
http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/RO.htm

0.4g Calcium Chloride Dihydrate - skip
2.0g Calcium Sulphate Dihydrate - CaSo4
2.0g Magnesium Sulphate Heptahydrate MgSo4
0.7g Potassium Carbonate - skip
25 litres Water

The above solution gives:
24ppm Calcium
8ppm Magnesium
16ppm Potassium
7ppm Chloride - skip
GH=5
KH=1

So just skip the other salts except those two. Also some small traces are fine to add. But there is chelated (inactive) CU but anyway I believe it is totally harmless to any shrimp.

I am personally addicted to Co2 but to add co2 to 0KH would be difficult to control. But now I see even Rotala Walichii is doing great in no Co2 with amazonia tank but low light so I might reconsider putting Co2 everywhere :)

Oh no turning white is bacterial issue I guess. But look you still do better than my I lost 400 E you a bit less :D
You should remove any which already turned milky white it is guaranteed dead. I've seen you had quite a lot of them in there and you had no water change for long that could cause issue.

There is possible rescue plant JBL Furanol 2 from Germany ebay. Poeple from Germany using it often for bacterial cures with shrimps or some Sera Bacter. I tablet is for 20L or you can do drip method 1 tablet to 1 L and 30 minutes bath. It will turn tank nasty yellow though and will kill all good and bad bacteria, might help might not.

Piece-of-fish said:
So where is the truth now :lol:

That RO was fresh which I made today afternoonm, if there was some CO2 as there is always CO2 in TAP it might turn neutral when CO2 evaporates :) Also I do not use DI resin so my RO is not 100% but maybe 98% only.

Thanks Radik.
I do not want to start with medication yet so will see how it goes and let the shrimp fight it naturally.
Regarding RO units.
Are they pretty much the same or can anyone recommend something in particular. I mean 3 stage.
Would getting 4 stage give me any benefits rather than less waste?

Edis, I am using 3 stages only and my TDS after RO is just 12. I can live with that. For 100% RO you need DI resin it is some sand or what which is last stage of filtration but requires to be changed often, I can't be bothered with that.

I got my RO unit from ebay for around 40 and it is portable unit 100Gallon/day. But I had to purchase water pump for 55 or something as I have low pressure from TAP. If you have low pressure, your filtration result may be really poor (let's say you will filter only 70% of possible 98%) and it will be also dripping instead of running.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-STAGE-AQUAR ... 3a6cb3ca11

and pump I use
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RO-100gpd-boo ... 1e683c7829

100GPD will fill my 25L bucket in 2 hours so 50GPD in 4 hours.

Piece-of-fish said:
Hmm. Tried to google it couple days ago and some say it is acidic.
I guess active soil might be the only way then or a bit of co2.
I shall try all possible ways to find out which works better and get experience.
I am happy my crazy massive import went well otherwise i would be put off from shrimp keeping for a while :lol:
At the moment I am loosing blue pearls to some reason. They seem to turn white and die in couple days one by one.
Might it be bacterial infection?

Had same problem with my colony of around 80 snowballs. All did the same, one by one turned white then popped it. Really strange as they were doing just great until i added around a dozen new blood shrimps from another source. Pretty sure it was bacterial, but i couldn;t stop it from wiping out the whole lot......... :thumbdown:

Tried, isolating, 50% water changes, almond leaves etc etc but couldn't stop the rot.

Yep, one shrimp colony killed another due carrying different bacterias. Next time you have to quarantine new shrimps and get them used to your water and bacteria by swapping 2% of tank volume between tanks for 15 days every day. This is described on shrimpnow under acclimatization knowledge base. Simply as you would do whole new setup with some plants and no animals inside.

Same happened to me when I bought tigers and stripes and mixed them together after 2 weeks just 1 stripes survivor :) Or when I added new sakuras and CRS to existing sakuras.. all new sakuras died and CRS died.

Back