• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Some of my wildlife images

James O

changed my avatar to one of my favourite images so here it is a bit larger. Oh and some others tagged along

10teXpM.jpg
Aq5oeWi.jpg

The eagle was at a sanctuary and i used my trusty 100-400mm on tripod
The hummingbird took ages as the damn things move so fast! 3hours with tripod!!!

rOOWXYI.jpg
WPXOBj0.jpg
The bee was the first of the year bumbling all over the place. handheld with I think my 150mm macro
The wild horse was taken in the New Forrest. The slightly blurred finished was felt more true than the dead sharp shots - 24-105mm handheld

NsC9k8J.jpg
OZFmX4X.jpg
Same bird on two continents!
The first is a bird at the desert museum in Tucson Arizona. They are true birds of prey here and are flown from a gauntlet. Love the almost metallic feel of the feathers and the other worldly effect of the dead cactus its landed on - 100-400mm monopod
The second was one of my first shots with my 100-400 on my old 350D (first dslr) the birds nest en mass in trees near my old work. the effort in making their 'crowsnests' can be seen in the size of the 'twig' - 100-400mm hand held

pAG4Rak.jpg
gNeGSbL.jpg
Let sleeping elephant seals lie - we stopped of on a road trip up highway 1 to san francisco to look at these great lumps.

The first was pretty close to the viewing area having a snooze - 24-105mm i think, hand held
the second was with my 70-200 f2.8 hand held

the pics just don't do the size of these things justice

B1Nqlfa.jpg
bT6k2to.jpg
both taken on the same holiday to spain. I'd decided to only use manual mode on the 350d to finally learn how to use it.

The fly was one of 20 or so shots! - 150mm macro and tripod
The seagull was shot from the top of a cliff flying on the thermals - 100-400mm handheld

Thanks guys. I'll have some others ready later

Please feel free to critique

VMCxjaR.jpg

I hate eating mushrooms, but they are darned pretty. Taken in the New Forrest with the head tube of my tripod inverted to get at this little collection from underneath - 150mm macro

D7Biipr.jpg

Moss & fern sharing the same fallen, rotten tree again in the New Forrest - 24-105mm

F7wvtAb.jpg

This picture, to me, best illustrates the term 'bokeh' (the aesthetic quality of the blur/out of focus point of light) I really love the yellow/green mix and how it pull together with the branch and moss - 70-200mm f2.8

ToIY6d8.jpg

Redwoods above San Francisco. This area was so beautiful I was close to tears in wonderment. The clouds were being caught by trees and the moisture dripped down on the moss & ferns, collecting in little streams and pools, while the light rose and fell depending on the thickness of the cloud.

This was one of those places where the 100+ images I have just cant do the reality justice.......

3xeQtFV.jpg

remember the HDR craze? (it isn't still going is it :confused:) Well this is my bull headed, grumpy old git reply! This is HDR using B&W Polaroids on my Mamiya RZ67 PROII with 90mm f3.5. Yup, 3 exposures scanned and blended :cigar: :banghead: New fangled my......;)

I think its one of my old Orchid Phalaenopsis

ToIY6d8.jpg

Redwoods above San Francisco. This area was so beautiful I was close to tears in wonderment. The clouds were being caught by trees and the moisture dripped down on the moss & ferns, collecting in little streams and pools, while the light rose and fell depending on the thickness of the cloud.

This was one of those places where the 100+ images I have just cant do the reality justice.......
This has got to be my fav shot. Absolute fantasy!

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Here are a few more of the redwoods! Made me get back into them and have a play :happy:

cD8ZiYf.jpg

I still cant get over the moss growth 30+ feet up a live tree!

B&W for the eerie feel
Vzp23M6.jpg
pjGpJH7.jpg

I've got to say shooting these was a bit@h! :dead: I had everything from deep shadow to extremely bright, backlit clouds. Under such circumstances I'm with Michael Reichmann of Luminous Landscape - "Shoot to the right!!!"

I think you guys might enjoy checking out Clyde Butcher's work

Back