• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Some signs of Algae

Becksy

Good evening everyone,

So I’m two weeks into my plants going into my tank after 4 weeks of a dark start, and to be fair all is going not so bad. I’ve now adjusted my co2 down to 1 drop ps and my drop checker is bang on. I’ve also started dosing with Tropica fertiliser.

Looking closely im starting to get green algae on my tank and some string algae on a few plants that are naturally dying off. I’m not panicking in any way as I know this is perfectly natural for the start of a new tank. I just want to pick you brains of wisdom, on that note could you guys and girls be kind enough to tell me if theres anything I should be doing at this point to slow the algae down. I’ve got some algae eaters in doing there job. Just wondering if there’s anything else I can do.

many thanks in advance
david

Hi Dave
Do this below or purchase some floating plants!
hoggie

Hi Dave
Do this below or purchase some floating plants!
hoggie
Perfect I’ll try a few of these as I have these plants growing in my tank.

This is a typical symptom of poor CO2.

It is only perfectly natural when CO2 is poorly executed.

Cheers.
So are you saying to much co2 not enough? I’m a little confused on your advice? Could you please be a little more specific?

Hi Dave
A bit more information would be helpful!
hoggie

Hi Dave
A bit more information would be helpful!
hoggie
The tank is a 60 p and I’m using a 350 bio master filter, I’m using co2 and have had the tank running for over 6 weeks now. 2 of witch with plants in. I’ve attached a few photos to help you see my set up. And of my algae issues. Hope this helps you better buddy.

Attachments

• 253C0879-E801-445D-A4E4-3B5C08C9DBEE.jpeg
    253C0879-E801-445D-A4E4-3B5C08C9DBEE.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 109
  • 1620B64C-D5F8-4B5A-9BE1-2803CEA9259E.jpeg
    1620B64C-D5F8-4B5A-9BE1-2803CEA9259E.jpeg
    633.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 934B27FB-799B-45FD-9765-9007BE9ADB76.jpeg
    934B27FB-799B-45FD-9765-9007BE9ADB76.jpeg
    645.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 4444F79C-8464-4446-9EDE-921A87A1238F.jpeg
    4444F79C-8464-4446-9EDE-921A87A1238F.jpeg
    850.2 KB · Views: 130
So are you saying to much co2 not enough? I’m a little confused on your advice? Could you please be a little more specific?
Hello,
Apologies for the confusion. As far as plants are concerned the expression "poor CO2" always means that there is a problem with the ability to capture an to process CO2 from the water column. Plants can virtually never have too much CO2, however, the animals tolerance of CO2 is limited, so in order to avoid damaging the fish, but to allow the plants to obtain as much CO2 as possible it's necessary to maximize the efficiency of CO2 in the tank. More elaboration in the post Diatoms, BBA with High Light ?

Cheers,

hi, the brownish hair algae is fine and will go away in a few weeks. just keep going with manual removal and water changes. once you see different types of algae, bba green hair algae, green spot algae, then you will need to change things such as light, co2, nutrients.

Hello,
Apologies for the confusion. As far as plants are concerned the expression "poor CO2" always means that there is a problem with the ability to capture an to process CO2 from the water column. Plants can virtually never have too much CO2, however, the animals tolerance of CO2 is limited, so in order to avoid damaging the fish, but to allow the plants to obtain as much CO2 as possible it's necessary to maximize the efficiency of CO2 in the tank. More elaboration in the post Diatoms, BBA with High Light ?

Cheers,
No problems buddy. Thank you for the link to read. I’ll have a good read.

hi, the brownish hair algae is fine and will go away in a few weeks. just keep going with manual removal and water changes. once you see different types of algae, bba green hair algae, green spot algae, then you will need to change things such as light, co2, nutrients.
I’m pretty sure I’ve got the spot algae already. I’ll attach a photo. I’ve done a massive water change after having a big clean up and cutting back some stem plants and replanting and leaving some on the surface to combat the algae.
CF3E98F9-A7EE-4BDE-9956-39B786E0A5DD.jpeg

Back