• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Space between tank and walls

Phargon

Hi- relatively new to fish keeping and first post on here, so apologies if I got the wrong section.

I’ve had a Fluval Flex 34L for 2-3 years now, keeping shrimp and some nano fish. I’ve been adding some easy plants and mosses during this time, and now I have decided I’m ready to start a proper planted nano tank and try so create a proper aquascape!

I’ve chosen a Dennerle 70l white glass tank, which should be hopefully delivered before Christmas. Space is limited in the house, but I have found a good corner where the tank would fit just fine, and I’m having a cabinet built just for this purpose.

The back and one side of the tank will be facing the walls and since I’m having the cabinet custom built I can have it as close to the walls as possible. However, I know I need some space between glass and wall for maintenance / pipes / electrics and I wonder if there is any guidance on how much this should be?

I have only have experience with the integrated filter in the flex tank, but I would like an external filter for this project so I might need space for pipes at the back or side (is there a preference for either?)

Additionally, I might want to add a CO2 system at some point so any indication of what space would be needed is appreciated.

My question is - is there anything else I should consider whilst designing the cupboard besides piping for external filter and electric cables? Is there Anything I have not considered? How much space do you suggest I leave between glass and walls? Can it be almost flush in one of the two walls and are the external filters pipes better suited for the side or for the back?

Thank you so much in advance for any advice you might have

Hi Welcome to UKAPS, my own experience with Aqua One 980 when first located l had it right against back wall When I made changes to make 8t more suitable for a planted tank ,it caused problems, external filter tubing and access etc ,setting raised lighting.,so when resetting the aquarium it's about 10 cm away from walls and makes everything easier.
Lots of members make their own cabinets, put a picture up and someone should help with your desiign

Hi! Thank you for the welcome and for the advice!
I don’t have much to show as I’m yet to receive the tank and not started the cabinet yet. This is the picture of the space. Thank is 50cm wide and 39cm deep so I was thinking the cabinet could be 58cm wide and flush to the wall which would leave 8cm on the left between side glass and wall.

Would this be enough for pipes or are these better going at the back? I never had an external filter but wanted to try since there will be some cabinet space.

Also, any advice on height of the cabinet? Tank is 36cm high.

IMG_9616.jpeg

My Aquael 240 is 8.5 cm from the wall. This is adequate for the 17mm hoses of my Oase Biomaster 600, and lighting wires.

Yes, you do want to leave space between the tanks and walls, would suggest at least 50mm, but as you have lots of space in that recess would think when placing the empty tank and stand in there you can play around to give it some space and a visually pleasing effect.

Are you making the cabinet yourself ? some folk buy ones from places like Ikea and add a bit of bracing if needed; are you making the cabinet longer than the tank as it looks like you have plenty of room there.

For C02 we use a 2kg fire extinguisher which when fitted with the regulator assembly needs a height clearance of about 660mm and a floor space of around 200mm square.
Also consider the size of an external filter and working space above it during cleaning etc.

Thank you both!

Someone is building it for me from scratch so I just need to come up with the design.

Ideally I would like for the cabinet and tank to fill the corner as in the drawing attached (apologies it is not to scale :))

That would leave about 7-8cm on the left side of the tank for pipes and electrics, but just one cm (or even flush to wall) at the back of the tank..

Would that work? And do you see any issue with maintenance? I suppose I won’t really need access to the back.

I was thinking that perhaps I could even box in the gap on the left so that it covers the void between the tank and the wall and a maybe white background on that side of the tank would hide pipes and cables all out of sight?

Attachments

• IMG_9622.jpeg
    IMG_9622.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 57
Its your choice but think we would make the cabinet to match the tank and as you say use some removable filler pieces to cover that 8cm of pipework, to us that would look more balanced.
Again for the width we would make the stand the same as the tank but leave a gap of 1cm or so between both and the wall.

As you have a tiled floor, think we would fit the cabinet with some skids rather than feet so you can easily move the whole unit , using plastic shims if you need to level the tank,

Once your tank s running and the plants growing, doubt you will see any of the pipework through the glass.

Thanks again for all your advice on this. The stand has now been built although I don’t have it yet- will post some pictures soon.

@dino21 we put the whole thing on heavy duty castor wheels instead of plastic shims so I should be able to remove it from wall if needed.

There should be a 15mm gap at back and I was thinking of a LED strip light to create a background effect line on one of those ADA and Chihiros background lights. Anyone has any experience of doing this?

a LED strip light to create a background effect line on one of those ADA and Chihiros background lights. Anyone has any experience of doing this?

Had seen some posts on doing just that in the forum before - a simple search on "backlights" should find them,

Thank you both!

Someone is building it for me from scratch so I just need to come up with the design.

Ideally I would like for the cabinet and tank to fill the corner as in the drawing attached (apologies it is not to scale :))

That would leave about 7-8cm on the left side of the tank for pipes and electrics, but just one cm (or even flush to wall) at the back of the tank..

Would that work? And do you see any issue with maintenance? I suppose I won’t really need access to the back.

I was thinking that perhaps I could even box in the gap on the left so that it covers the void between the tank and the wall and a maybe white background on that side of the tank would hide pipes and cables all out of sight?
Update!

Attachments

• IMG_9933.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 53
Some more pics of the cabinet attached. I take no credit for this, as I’ve not built it myself 😂

I think it’s perfect for the space and the tank (Dennerle 70L scapers tank).

Tank has now arrived, but as it is a Christmas gift it won’t be available until then :).

Any feedback appreciated, as I’ve never had this type of setup before. Will post pic with the filter inside the cabinet soon (Oase biomaster 250)

Attachments

• IMG_9935.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9934.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9932.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9930.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 50
Hello @Phargon - what filter are you going to house in the cabinet?

Oase Biomaster Thermo 250. If there is space maybe a small CO2 system.

I can’t get a feel for the space in the photo.

Have a look at the dimensions in the specs (below) and measure up to see if the 250 will fit. In the picture it looks like that shelf might conflict, but I can’t really tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think the filter will fit ok, though not sure about the little shelf, might be in the way ?
Worth putting something like a cat little tray under the filter to catch any water.
Like the individual switched sockets, though might place them higher up to avoid any splashes from the filter when servicing.
Should have room for a small FE / Co2 regulator as well.

Thank you both- filter fits well. I have not connected it but tried some configuration to check room for CO2 system.

The space under the shelf is 40cm so not sure a CO2 system will fit. I was thinking a regulator with Sodastream or welding canisters, hopefully I can find a second hand one. I can put it on the left if the filter is pushed to the right.

The openings for the pipes are quite tight so the pipes touch the wood and don't move much, will that be an issue?

View attachment IMG_9940.jpeg,View attachment IMG_9938.jpeg
IMG_9944.jpeg

Quick question - what is the shelf for?

Quick question - what is the shelf for?
I’ve felt like it would have been useful for various bottles /food etc as I don’t have much storage for this elsewhere.

Post above has three images - not sure why only one is actually showing!

Can see the three pics of you click on the IMG text.

Really think you would be better taking that little shelf out, it just looks too much in the way when you come to opening and cleaning the filter.
Something that surprised me when starting with a planted tank was that members here suggested you do not fill the filter full of media but just use about half its capacity , mainly foam and typical bio media, if you search the forum section think you will find such posts.
Have not seen any height dimensions for your cabinet, but if its internal is >650mm then you can get a 2kg extinguisher and regulator in there, can honestly say they are way better than the smaller offerings, we just use one of the basic £40 regs you can see on eby etc. Think it would easily fit where your shelf currently is, which we would replace with a full width shelf above your power sockets for all the food and ferts and cleaning bits.

Looks like the inside of the cabinet is bare wood .. ? think a few coats of paint or varnish would give it long term protection as you will get some water spillage when cleaning the filter.

Back