• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sponge filtration query...

Anubia

Hi Guys...need some info regarding sponge filtration for a 30cm Nano cube (Sulawesi - Low tech planted shrimp tank, plants being Moss's, Posgostem, Blyxia Japonica) No C02 infusion.

Shrimp type - Cardinal 'dennerli'

I've thought of using a Jad SF102 sponge filter attached to a JBL 500 Profilter pump(•490 l/h). My reasoning is that I want to have a good bacterial load/ filter but with ample flow, oxgenation and be able to balance PH levels.

My concern is that will the JBL proflow be too much volume for this tank setup and would a drilled spray bar be better suited..? I know you can just use sponge filters with pump/airstone but feel I want to present more flow.

Then again Sulawesi shrimp are from Lake Matano so would they have constant flow....Keen to present as close as a natrual environment/biotope as possible but to have excellent water conditions and params...

Any thoughts, better ideas...?

Thx for reading.

Lakes by and large don't have much water movement at all. To be biotope correct they're from very deep water, no vegetation, sand bed and scattered course rock. Not the most aesthetically pleasing scape all things considered. I'd be concentrating on how you're going to keep water stability as good as possible as they just do not like swings of any kind.

Am ok with water params re PH, GH & KH and have kept nano biotopes with CRS and fish for 2 years and am diligent re weekly water changes...

Understand your thoughts regarding their actual lake bed environment but do want to ensure water flow volume, oxgenation is adeqaute or over the top....?

Thx for the link Darrel.....did you have prolems with volume of flow within your small nano, as the JBL Proflow does not have any limiting interface/switch mechanism ....? Did you limit your flow with a spray bar or direct the Maxi-Jet outlete at the side, front of the tank ?

My concern ( noted by Garuf) that the Sulawesi shrimp are lake inhabitants and may not be used to flow/ or require it, but want to ensure surface agitaton(flow) to stop surface scum and plenty of oxygenation. My low tech plants again would benefit with some flow....

Not sure if the JBL range go down to a 400 model like the Maxi-jet but will investigate the possibilities. I do want more flow than an airstone system though....

Thx for reading...

Hi all,
did you have prolems with volume of flow within your small nano, as the JBL Proflow does not have any limiting interface/switch mechanism
No I always run powerheads at full power. I regulate the flow by using a longer intake in a larger ppi10 block, or by mixing the foams and including a layer(s) of ppi20 or ppi30 (fine) foam.

I probably have a lot more plant mass in my tanks than most people on this forum (as I'm not too bothered about aesthetics), and this tends to diffuse the flow fairly well anyway. As I don't use CO2 and dose nutrients at a much lower rate than for EI etc, flow is of little interest to me as a long as I can ensure sufficient oxygenation (and assuming that I am not keeping Hill Stream Loaches etc.)

If I kept a shrimp from a relatively bare, lake biotope I would possibly use a spraybar, although it may well be possible to diffuse the flow with the hard-scape. You need to remember that to reduce the flow you need to diffuse the flow. If you aim the outlet at a large flat rock or the aquarium glass, it will be reflected rather than diffused.

cheers Darrel

Back