• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Starting stem plants floating?

AdsUK

Seedling
Hi all,

First post here - I'll introduce my tank in the new members section shortly..

Just a quick question, I've added some Tropica 1-2-grow Rotala Vietnam H'Ra to my tank, but a lot of the stems are currently too small to plant effectively in the substrate. Can I grow them out just floating them in the tank for a while to get bigger, or should I be happy with the ones I have been able to plant and split stems as they grow?

Thank you in advance,
Ads

Hi all,
Welcome.
.....but a lot of the stems are currently too small to plant effectively in the substrate. Can I grow them out just floating them in the tank for a while .....
I've not grown Rotala Vietnam H'ra, but I would definitely try them floating, if you can't plant them. The should be make use of nutrients in the tank water via <"foliar feeding"> and it will give them access to more CO2 and light.

If you've got a propagator? You could try them via the dry start method (DSM), Rotala rotundifolia grows very well as <"an emersed plant">.

cheers Darrel

I once got a batch of stem plants that were really poorly. Floating them until they started growing aerial roots, then planting in the substrate, gave me the best results. I'd definitely let your rotala float for a bit to grow out.

Thanks for the replies, I'll try half floating, half in a propagator and see which I get on better with. Some of the clumps have sunk anyway.

Ads

Back