• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Statement fish?

Karacticus

Hi everyone

Merry Christmas!

I'm a year into my planted tank journey and loving what I've got so far. Have learned a lot from the great minds on this forum.

I today very nearly bought five juvenile Angels as a 'statement' fish but changed my mind last minute, when the chap in the shop started talking about pairing up and aggression.

I was after any ideas of fish species that might provide a focal point for the tank. Anyone happy to share their thoughts? I live in a hard water area and run my tank at 23 degrees C. pH is around 6.65 with CO2.

My current stock is:

2 x Apistos
7 x Columbian
10 x Cardinal
8 x Black Neon
12 x Rummynose tetras
3 x super red bristlenose
9 x Otos
4 x Bronze corys
2 x SAE
Maybe 10 Amanos

Weirdly, despite the list I often struggle to see a lot of them. Otos/Amanos virtually never. Columbians hide amongst the val at the back.

I like the idea of angels but will these eventually get big and boisterous? I am also considering perhaps moving out the Apistos so I can keep other shrimps.

Any other ideas? Happy to hear anything.

Cheers

Mark

PS: aquarium as of today...

Attachments

• 20231227_173823.jpg
    20231227_173823.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 112
Nice tank!

How big is the aquarium? I cant tell from the piccy.

Couple of votes for angels! I do like Pearl Gourami as well.
It’s an Aquascaper 1200 (120 x 60 x 45)
Yes, this is it. Just shy of 300 litres.
I’d have gone for the angels. If it wouldn’t result in overstocking maybe 6 juveniles would be better.
I think stocking would be okay but these would be my last fish I think. I am religous on the water changes and maintenance. My filter is an 850 Oase and usually when the pre filter is cleaned, the main chamber of sponges is pretty clean. Would be juveniles, deffo. 😅

I don't have any experience with angels, but have heard that if a single individual is kept as a centrepiece fish in a community tank they don't seem to mind, do well and are much more placid.

Back