• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stem Rot & Decay.. Anubias & Hygrophilia species

niru

Hi

a few days back I got Anubias Heterophylia (big leaf) & tied it to a wood block. Now I observe that some rizhomes are rotting for no apparent reason. Moreover, some other plants (hygrophilia species) have started getting the rot at their stem base, slowly moving upwards. Ferts are EI and CO2 is 3-4 bps, DC is good yellow-green. These plants are right in the way of the flow which can be seen with particles, bubbles flowing nicely down the front, over these plants and back up.. Any ideas?

-niru

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the answer but I had a similar spate of problems some time back with anubias dying here and there around my tank. It was caused by fluctuating temperature. It was summer and I had problems keeping temps down but managed to lower it every time it approached 29 or 30. This went on for a short while but what also wasn't helping was that I had an additional powerhead which I had on a timer to correspond with the Co2 and lighting period. This I think meant that only certain times of the day were the plants all getting the correct flow around them, hence my nutrients and temperature were being made very inconsistent.
I turned the powerhead on full time and I've had no problems since
:)

Thanks Dfish!
my temp is always near 24-26 range which I monitored over the weekend every 1/2 hour or so.. The Koralia is turned ON at 10:00 in morning till 11:30 night, so flow is also OK (I hope). I checked on some forums that Anubias could start rot if rizhome is incorrectly cut (which was NOT the case), and on some other forums that some bacterial infection could cause anubias rot.. This is something I fear for I have 4 different Anubias species and all are wonderful.

-niru

Cut all the rotten pieces away and then turn on your koralia 24/7. That's exactly what I did and I didn't have any further problems :)

Thanks guys!

I will keep Koralia 24/7.. Perhaps increase CO2 further.. maybe 4-5 bps?? I have Platys, Corys, Tetras and Amano shrimps. Hope they wont mind :)

-niru

The shrimp might mind, so improve flow first, do a good trim tank wide, and do the injection rate increase as a last resort.

Cheers,

Back