• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sterilising & Cleaning New plants

dean

Hi

Lets say they are bunched plants from a lfs

Theres lots of stuff on web on how to clean new plants & kill off any pests like using bleach

What method do you use ?

Many Many Years ago i used a 9volt battery and copper wire stripped bare at the ends and hung suspended on opposite side of the tank to kill of snails etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm employing a potassium permanganate bath. Light violet, may last for several hours.

One thing to watch out, ask the LFS for source of plants, many Asian plants farms have by law to chemically treat plants for export, these are especially fatal to shrimp and some fish .
Maybe quarantine the plants in a no livestock aquarium for a time before rinsing . Not sure whether it would make the plants safe,?or purchase from European plants farm shops takes all the unknown out of it

Hi

Lets say they are bunched plants from a lfs

Theres lots of stuff on web on how to clean new plants & kill off any pests like using bleach

What method do you use ?

Many Many Years ago i used a 9volt battery and copper wire stripped bare at the ends and hung suspended on opposite side of the tank to kill of snails etc

I recommend reading this. Seems reasonable and effective:

Seems reasonable
Very interesting read, thanks for posting.
May also be of value to treat water plants just to help revers transportation/relocation shock.
Carbonated water is cheap enough, sometimes the 2L bottles are cheaper than the 250ml bottles. (UK prices)
how to clean new plants
Very easy to damage soft leaved plants with bleach. Worth giving the fizzy water treatment a go?

Hi all,
I wonder how well this could work by injecting high amounts of pressurized CO2 in a bucket instead.
That would work, but you would need to limit gas exchange with the atmosphere.
One would probably need to add a small pump to recirculate water.
I think still would actually be better in this case, because you want to avoid out-gassing.

cheers Darrel

I wonder how well this could work by injecting high amounts of pressurized CO2 in a bucket instead
50 to 60ppm CO2 perhaps. 2L of fizzy water to 30gallons - upside down fish and no capital investment. 2L of fizzy water used to be 21p now about 36p (UK prices)
Could also consider a Soda Stream or similar gadget and make your own.

50 to 60ppm CO2 perhaps. 2L of fizzy water to 30gallons - upside down fish and no capital investment. 2L of fizzy water used to be 21p now about 36p (UK prices)
Could also consider a Soda Stream or similar gadget and make your own.
I mentionned this for people who already have a CO2 tank like myself. Soda water would be the obvious choice without the equipment.

Hi all,

That would work, but you would need to limit gas exchange with the atmosphere.

I think still would actually be better in this case, because you want to avoid out-gassing.

cheers Darrel
Only problem would be that using a standard diffuser all CO2 would out gas anyway as bubbles would simply go straight to the surface. One way would be to heavily inject CO2 prior adding the plants for a few hours and then shut everything off once water is high in CO2.

Reverse respiration or carbonated bottled water gets my vote.

Alternatively, buy plants from our sponsors. Most of the plants they sell are kept and grown on in emersed ebb and flow type hydroponic systems or in vitro. No nasties, pest snails or algae infestation. They're also supplied by European nurseries, such as Tropica and Aquafleur, like @PARAGUAY mentioned above, no danger of toxic chemical residues killing livestock.

One thing to watch out, ask the LFS for source of plants, many Asian plants farms have by law to chemically treat plants for export, these are especially fatal to shrimp and some fish .
Maybe quarantine the plants in a no livestock aquarium for a time before rinsing . Not sure whether it would make the plants safe,?or purchase from European plants farm shops takes all the unknown out of it

Unfortunately a lot of shops buy plants with their fish stock from a wholesaler so they dont sell the branded plants we all know,

I think if the store have motivated owners the nurseries will help them establish a trade. Aquafleur, for instance, set my LFS up with a cascade tank, and lights etc, apart from anything else it makes commercial sense. Apparently, the plants sell like hot cakes.

I think if the store have motivated owners the nurseries will help them establish a trade. Aquafleur, for instance, set my LFS up with a cascade tank, and lights etc, apart from anything else it makes commercial sense. Apparently, the plants sell like hot cakes.

Lots of the smaller shops dont have room for plant displays sales tanks they are more about the fish etc

Back