• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Steve's ADA 120P - Emerald Isles

Bargain, what generous person sold you that? ;) I can confirm Mr Evans did own the tank. (Allbeit A few years back) It was also his 2 filters, 1 reg, and glassware.
Any updates mate?

I really like that Steve! Maybe you could just add a few very small branches to the right to make it more complex... or just plant it!

Not exactly an update on mine but promised the missus I would sort her tank after the move before I sort any of mine out, quick couple of pics, she's a pleco fan :).

60x30x45 clearseal, homemade cabinet from external grade ply, aquamanta efx300 filter, hydor eth300 heater, gush lily pipes and glass corners, superfish led light, lava rock, play sand, needle fern and crypts, barbs, rasboras, black ghost knife, ancistrus, plecos and amanos, inspired by altitude by James Findley, very low tech :).

16123099236_663fbf1d64_z.jpgHayley's Tank by -hayleyyoung1984-

15962823939_f366a13fbe_z.jpgHayley's Tank by -hayleyyoung1984-

15529156873_326bd5bd87_z.jpgHayley's Tank by -hayleyyoung1984-

Looks amazing but what are you going to do when the knife fish gets too big?

Finally made some progress today, being an on call engineer this holiday has been crazy but as of tomorrow I'm off so will be looking into plant orders now. Was thinking about dry starting with the yoghurt moss method but as there's wood protruding from the top of the tank I think it's a no go so will be glueing instead me thinks. So anyway I had a couple of hours in the man cave on my todd today while the missus watched the hobbit so played around with some layouts on a ply board, carried it in, transferred to the tank and re done the manzy. I'm quite happy with it, just been picturing it grown in. ;)

First pic is a Christmas present from the missus. :)

15544512744_5fae0ccd57_z.jpgEmerald Isle by -hayleyyoung1984-

16166264622_b4ff86fab9_z.jpgEmerald Isle by -hayleyyoung1984-

16167005625_ae81719c83_z.jpgEmerald Isle by -hayleyyoung1984-

16166120512_df9847111a_z.jpgEmerald Isle by -hayleyyoung1984-

Ok guys we have a plant list, missus not too happy about the cost lol but hey ho.

Plants

Aqua Essentials

Proserpinaca Palustris Cuba x 2
Staurogyne 1-2 x 6
Eleocharis Mini 1-2 x
Rananculus Inundatus x 4
Anubias Petite x 4
Bolbitis Difformis x 3
Crypt Costata x 5
Hydro Tripartita x 2
Hygrophila Mini x 5
Hygrophila Pinnatifida x 6
Microsorum Trident x 2
Microsorum Mini x 4
Pogostemon Stellata x 4
Fissidens x 2
Riccardia x 2

Waterlands

Microsorum Needle x 3

The wood pieces are individually very nice but the shapes don't entirely work together in my opinion.

Believe it or not there's only 7 pieces in there, there's 2 massive great pieces one either side then the roots coming down and some small pieces on the left, the majority of it is natural manzy from Tom Barr I just added a couple of extra bits.

What do you think looks out of place? May well be individual parts I can move. :)

So I was looking at the first scape photo and I was like: Such a shame the rocks are so low in this tank. Then I scrolled down and I was like: WOW, thats why!

Beautiful hardscape so far mate!

About the dry start. Why wouldn't you be able to do it? The cling film is there to keep up the moisture level, not to create airtight seal. I would suggest you "test" it by wrapping your scape without water and see what you think? If it works out, and you have the patience you might also be able to order less plants and please the misses ;) (please note: I have no idea if the amount of plants you want to order is many, just right, or a a little)

So I was looking at the first scape photo and I was like: Such a shame the rocks are so low in this tank. Then I scrolled down and I was like: WOW, thats why!

Beautiful hardscape so far mate!

About the dry start. Why wouldn't you be able to do it? The cling film is there to keep up the moisture level, not to create airtight seal. I would suggest you "test" it by wrapping your scape without water and see what you think? If it works out, and you have the patience you might also be able to order less plants and please the misses ;) (please note: I have no idea if the amount of plants you want to order is many, just right, or a a little)

Thanks DivZero, I'm after some opinions :) with the very heavy planting you won't see much of the wood really and the bits you do will be covered in Fissidens and Chamadryfolia so I'm hoping it works planted :).

With the dry start Im probably being impatient also lol, plus the kitchen is quite cold so I didn't want the temp dropping so much the plants fail.

What I meant was that the wood on the left is thin twisty branches and the right hand side is thicker and straighter. Then again plants and moss can do wonders, tbh it is a minor issue and with plants it wouldn't be an issue at all. If you like it, stick with it. I would be happy with that in my house, if that helps!

Back