• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stocking advice please

lurcher

Please advise ,i have a 60gallon tank with community fish ,one is a large blue gourami and i want to move him to a planted 30 gallon tank which has 12 bronze cories ,8 cardinal tetras, 1 adult siamese algae eater. He is being bullied and is about 4 years old. Will my 30gallon tank be overstocked if i move him to there to give him some peace.advice gratefully received.

It doesnt sound too bad of an idea to me, but its a bit hard for me to visualise stocking levels based on just text and not seeing the tank and fish.
I think its probably more stressful for the fish to be bullied constantly than having less room.
Granted I dont know exactly how big he is. Give it a try and see if he feels more at home there, keep an eye on the water quality :)

Thank you for help Dean ,yes it is a planted tank,if needs be i can move the cardinals to the big tank but i dont really want to do that unless absolutely neccesary. Rod.

Wondering who’s in the 60 gal community - it’s unusual that a large blue gourami would end up as the bullied rather than the bully
Is it possible he’s sick? if so I’d not want to move this fish another established tank

(A large blue gourami is certainly capable of eating cardinal tetras if so inclined)

Thanks for help,no he isnt sick,he was bullied by another gourami and since then he has been very reclusive,he was in the large tank but when a pearl gourami was introduced into the tank it wasnt long before bullying started all over again.i have had him 4/5 years he is in perfect health and feeding well,i have decided to put him in the smaller tank to let him swim in peace.he is a very shy fish and has been from young.

Back