• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stocking Advice

myboyshay

Hi everyone,

I'm in the planning process of a 60x30x36cm Iwagumi using 5 seiryu stone, Hemiantbus callitrichoides "Cuba" and Echinodorus Tenellus. (full ADA substrate system)
I am wanting to stock with Hyphessobrycon Amandae(Ember tetra I think), Oto's and Amano Shrimp.
Could anyone advise me on how many I should stock and the best time/stage to introduce each species.

Thanks in advance

Mark

I agree with Steve. 10-15 embers, 4 otos and 8 shrimp, give or take.

ADA Aqua Soil releases ammonia initially, so don't stock until the ammonia and nitrite levels are undetectable, usually after 3 weeks or so with a new filter. The bigger the filter the better for various reasons (circulation, bio/mech filtration).

I usally stock a few algae eaters at first, once the filter has cycled and there's some healthy plant growth, then stock the remainder after a couple of weeks.

Change 50% of the water every day for the first two weeks from start-up to help prevent algae.

All the best with the set-up. It sounds very nice.

i have a tank similar in size to yours and i have 10 harlequins and 4 ottos and about 20 small cherry shrimp and everything seems fine at the moment, it took 2 weeks for my amonia levels to drop to a level where i could add fish and i only have half a 9L bag of ADA AS in my tank!! as above i put the algie eaters in first then added the harlequins. hope it works out!

Matt

I'm glad I asked because I was thinking around 20-25 embers.....I say this because I was going to try and "copy" as best I can a 60cm step by step by the great Amano I seen in the Jan-March issue of the AGA's journal "The aquatic gardener".

The tank will consist of approx 12kg seiryu stone and approx 11L Aqua soil powder, will i be right in saying there'll be around 55L of water?

Filtration will be a TetraTec EX700 with a Hydor external heater (I hope this will not slow the circulation too much) so hopefully I will get sufficient flow/filtration etc.

Thanks for the advice on water changes George was wondering how much, how often.

My tank and stand should be coming in the next couple of weeks and I honestly can't wait to get going, I've spent a small fortune on equipment and that's why I've been a bit of a pain on the forum. I wanted to clue up as much as possible and I'm really grateful for all the advice (especially Graeme TGM and George's various articles and threads).

I'll send some pics when i feel the tank is looking the way I want......so fingers crossed!

Once again thanks for all the great advice everyone

Mark :D

myboyshay said:
I'm glad I asked because I was thinking around 20-25 embers.....I say this because I was going to try and "copy" as best I can a 60cm step by step by the great Amano I seen in the Jan-March issue of the AGA's journal "The aquatic gardener".
You have to remember that some aquarium photographers might introduce fish to the tank just for the photo shoot and then remove them again ;)

Back