• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stocking and inverts

Hello.

So I've been running into some problems. Basically, bacterial bloom. Let me recap details and then offer a possible explanation, just so you can tell me whether I'm suspecting the right causes.

I've got an 87-liter tank, pretty heavily planted, been running for 6-7 months. I've recently added some dwarf native cichlids (gymnnogeophagus meridionalis), and I had three Jenynsia Lineatas, sadly one died for reasons unknown. Not surprised though, they had odd-looking cancer-like growths when I caught them and half of them recovered in-tank, the other half seemingly got over them, so their general health must have been affected. Also, seven Otocinclus catfish.

Anyway. This tank has snails and shrimp. Native shrimp (paleomonetes argentinus/argentinensis, cant remember exactly), MTS, Physas, and some cool physa-like natives that exhibit really cool coloration. The shrimp are 20, or so, the snails, particularily MTS, are booming. Is it possible they (shrimp + snails) are so many as to unbalance the aquarium? By all accounts, the fish should not be overstocked, there's some otocinclus, three inch-long cichlid juveniles and two two-inch jenynsias, a guppy equivalent in practice. Plants are fine, I have a small filter but just for water movement. Why is the fish tank like this? The betta cube/plant holding mess is crystal clear. Dirty and ugly, but clear.

Screen Shot 2023-09-06 at 12.50.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-06 at 12.51.13 PM.png

Recent changes to the tank: 50% water change (don't usually do them) - trimmed the center plants - gave the moss a 70% haircut - added said cichlids - removed some dying alternantheras from left-hand shadowed spot - regular cutting down of the floaters.

It's hard to tell from a still picture, but is it possible that you have very poor oxygenation? It looks like the water surface is very still.

An explosion in the snail population suggests excess of available decomposing organic matter, which may affect oxygen consumption in the tank and make things go poorly.

It's a nice looking setuo, but it looks a bit murky and stagnant. Perhaps it'd be an idea to do regular and substantial water changes. I'd do 50% weekly, and use it as an opportunity to remove as much solid organic matter as possible. Also, maybe consider a bigger filter, for instance, to increase surface agitation and perhaps provide a little more water movement to increase O2. A pest snail explosion is often caused by over feeding and as mentioned above by @LMuhlen that will increase the tanks BOD.

Back