• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

stocking levels

They are going to have to survive in the real world once they go to new homes.

Know the feeling mate, chances are if you have a lot of them someone is going to end up with them who shouldn't. Many, many times I have given fish away to people then asked a couple of week later how they're doing and they simply said "oh it died that, I ended up getting something else" in such a throw away style, very annoying. Worst bit is they tend to say it in a manner as if there was something wrong at your end and that's why it didn't survive!

Hi all,
Now it's so difficult to get rid of the fish I've lost interest really other than stuff I can actually keep, especially when dealing with fish that may have a spawn in the hundreds. I also get too attached the them I guess, when you've spent a long time nurturing them they often do become members of the family. In my tank there will always be leftovers from previous setups that don't fit in
Pretty much the same for me. Plenty of fish where I just have one left, which I'll keep until it dies.

I had some nice tank bred Poropanchax normani, and I really struggled to give them away in the end, same with Apistogramma trifasciata. These are nice fish, but there wasn't a demand for them locally and I won't post fish.

cheers Darrel

You know what I think, there are shop stalwarts with made up names and if they have a name people will buy them. If they haven't heard of it they won't. Amount of people I talk to at work who tell me which I fish they have or are going to get and when I say I've never heard of them I always get the "and I thought you knew about fish keeping" comment :meh:

They usually have something like a fire eating tiger shark or whatever which when they show me a picture of it turns out to be something from the Rasboro family. I had a lot of success with Siamese Fighters at one point but then realised I couldn't give them away either when the lfs started it's policy of not taking in fish. Because of their hardiness you could only give one per person. The shop would maybe take 5 and the rest you needed shot of rather quickly. So I had to give up in the end. Obviously S. Fighters wasn't a good choice to try because of the limitations with the males but I loved the fish. Now when I go in the LFS they sell these things for a fortune with names like crowns, double crowns etc. Essentially they are just the same fish though.

Hi all,
I had a lot of success with Siamese Fighters at one point but then realised I couldn't give them away either when the lfs started it's policy of not taking in fish. Because of their hardiness you could only give one per person. The shop would maybe take 5 and the rest you needed shot of rather quickly. So I had to give up in the end. Obviously S. Fighters wasn't a good choice to try because of the limitations with the males
That is the same problem with Apistogramma trifasciata, the males really don't like one another from an early age, and they <"remain little drab grey fish"> for a long time before any-one would take them.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, That is the same problem with Apistogramma trifasciata, the males really don't like one another from an early age, and they <"remain little drab grey fish"> for a long time before any-one would take them.

cheers Darrel
As do the juvenile German blue ram's ,or so it seemed to me.(drab/grey)

GBR would be good sellers purely because the one's out the fish store are generally rubbish. Any you get need medicated right from the off IMO.

Back