• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stocking Order For New Setup?

Cazza

Hi All,
I've just started a new setup- Juwel Lido 120. It will initially be a well planted, low-tech tank. The substrate is a layer of crushed lava rock in nylon bags at the bottom, then a thin layer of Tropica plant substrate in tights, capped with a good layer of nice, speckly sand from Maidenhead. Hardscape is now in with water, on a dark cycle. I have the lights off, but filter and heater running. I've added a couple of bags of ceramic rings to the filter and have changed the order of the sponges, as the recommended order makes no sense to me! I'm intending to plant in 2-3 weeks and will purchase the 30" Jungle Collection (Aquarium Gardens), along with some moss, Hygrophila Pinnatifida, Tiger Lotus and Amazon Frogbit. I will then have the lights on etc and will introduce fish, once the parameters are OK.
I'm thinking of:
6 Cardinals
6 Bentosi Tetras
3 Otocinclus
4 Panda Corys
3-4 Amano Shrimp
3-4 Nerite Snails
I was thinking Nerites first, but what order would you suggest for the remaining inhabitants?

If you are patient and get your plants growing and nitrifying bacteria established I don't think the order matters too much for the livestock you have chosen. Those fish are all peaceful and fairly small. I would add the Amano on the early side so they can get to work and maybe wait to add the otos later on so they have more to eat. Four corys is pretty thin though - if you are worried about stocking levels I would switch to habrosus corys or another dwarf species and get at least 6. I would bump up the tetra shoals as well, but you can always start with 6 and see how everything fits.

Thanks @ElleDee . Yes, slightly concerned with stocking levels. Will have a think about the Corys- really love Pandas!

@LFNfan - yeah, love Bentosi's- stunning colours. Never had them before. Exciting times!

I bought (and still have!) 6 cardinal tetras in my aquarium. And I completely regret not getting more! Great little fish!
I've added a couple of bags of ceramic rings to the filter and have changed the order of the sponges, as the recommended order makes no sense to me!
Did you replace some of the provided Corse and Fine sponges with ceramic rings, then?

I agree, I don't think order will matter too much, the shrimp and snails would be a good early addition as they'll help with cleaning up any die back you get from newly added plants or biofilmy drift wood etc. I don't think your substrate will produce any ammonia spike so I'd probably add the amano at the same time as the snails. You are aware of the nerite egg laying? They scatter white spots everywhere.

Are you particularly attached to the otos or adding them for clean up? I do like them, but also a 60cm tank right on the minimum size I'd go as they can move quick at times. If you're more adding them for clean up than you really want them I'd cross them out in favour of a couple more pandas. I don't think they'll do anything the amanos won't once the initial diatoms are gone.

I'd probably cross out the oto and go 8 each for the tetras and 6 for the panda. See what the fish shop has in stock and looking good and pick that first. I wait a minimum two weeks between each species addition to let them settle, the tank adjust and observe for any issues. Plus draws out the fun of stocking :)

I bought (and still have!) 6 cardinal tetras in my aquarium. And I completely regret not getting more! Great little fish!

Did you replace some of the provided Corse and Fine sponges with ceramic rings, then?
Yeah, they're fabulous little fish! I didn't need to replace anything, as there was a big enough gap with the standard setup. I did, however, change the order, to start with the most coarse.

I agree, I don't think order will matter too much, the shrimp and snails would be a good early addition as they'll help with cleaning up any die back you get from newly added plants or biofilmy drift wood etc. I don't think your substrate will produce any ammonia spike so I'd probably add the amano at the same time as the snails. You are aware of the nerite egg laying? They scatter white spots everywhere.

Are you particularly attached to the otos or adding them for clean up? I do like them, but also a 60cm tank right on the minimum size I'd go as they can move quick at times. If you're more adding them for clean up than you really want them I'd cross them out in favour of a couple more pandas. I don't think they'll do anything the amanos won't once the initial diatoms are gone.

I'd probably cross out the oto and go 8 each for the tetras and 6 for the panda. See what the fish shop has in stock and looking good and pick that first. I wait a minimum two weeks between each species addition to let them settle, the tank adjust and observe for any issues. Plus draws out the fun of stocking :)
Good idea re: Amano's. The Nerites are infertile in freshwater, though?

I love Otos- never had them before, but think they're great.

Was also thinking about a pair of Rams a bit later down the line.

Good idea re: Amano's. The Nerites are infertile in freshwater, though?

I love Otos- never had them before, but think they're great.

Was also thinking about a pair of Rams a bit later down the line.
Although they don't hatch, they lay eggs like little white spots. I've avoided them for that reason although they are popular so obviously doesn't bug everyone.

Sounds like you might need another tank, they are addictive.

Yeah, they're fabulous little fish! I didn't need to replace anything, as there was a big enough gap with the standard setup. I did, however, change the order, to start with the most coarse.
Excellent! Sounds good.

I just had a look at the filter, and I think it can handle 12 x 2-inch fish or 81 x 1-inch fish with very clear water - more if you feed very lightly. (It is worth noting that the ceramic rings only equate to 4% of your bio-media capacity!).

Thanks again for your input, guys!
Just ordered the plants, which will arrive Friday/Saturday. Also ordered some TNC Complete, although I'll use the Amazon Frogbit to gauge when to dose.

Here's the setup as it currently stands.

Attachments

• 20240130_180114.jpg
    20240130_180114.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 36
Although they don't hatch, they lay eggs like little white spots. I've avoided them for that reason although they are popular so obviously doesn't bug everyone.

Sounds like you might need another tank, they are addictive.
The smaller Horned Nerites (Clithon sp) don't seem to produce the same white spots (eggs) as their larger counterparts.
Just ordered the plants, which will arrive Friday/Saturday.
Any updates and a couple of snaps?

If you did decide to go with otos I would definitely leave these until last. They need a decent covering of algae and biofilm, you won’t get that in a new set up.

if you chose between the Cardinals and Bentosi Tetras, and got 12, I expect they'd be happier.
I agree here, especially with the Cardinals. My 6 should definitely have been 12!
I waited about two months after I planted to introduce fish. I didn't do the dark cycle though - I just planted and lit and fertilised from Day One.
I think there are varying wait times for adding fish, but as many have said, it's patience, patience and patience. My own personal advice is to add the fish load slowly and monitor water conditions (chemistry and quality) before adding others. The bio load of 12 Cardinal Tetras is actually very low on almost all filters as long as the media is right. 1 litre worth of 220PPI foam (approx. a 4-inch cube) will easily support 14 Cardinal Tetras with good health - and that's not even taking into account how the plants help, too. You can add more, of course, but that could result in more cleaning requirements and maintenance.

Thanks again for all the advice, guys. Re: snails, are there any others that breed, but don't run amok. Open to alternative suggestions- I initially liked the idea that the Nerites wouldn't breed and they look nice, but I'm coming around to building a sustainable population of something like Ramshorns.

I had bentosi’s great looking fish but became a bit too boisterous when they went into breeding mode(55 lt tank), chasing and harassing the smaller tetras

Ended up moving them on to someone with a bigger tank

Back