• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Storing my tank…do I keep old media!?

JPT81

Hi all,

Sadly I’ve had to break down my tank and store it away but I was just wondering…should I keep the old media and filter or shall I just throw it all away?

I don’t know when I’ll next use the tank, it could be quite a long time before I do. So wasn’t sure if dried out old media and filters would be worth putting back in a new set up in the future.

I couldn’t find the answer in the forum so I apologise if this has been answered before.

Thanks all…it’s been a blast 🙌🏻

It'll be fine - give it a good wash under the tap, let it dry thoroughly on a radiator and bag it up for when you need it - just don't store it wet/damp otherwise it'll go mouldy.
Great stuff! I literally just had it in my hand, ready to throw in the bin 😂
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!

I’ve kept media and reused years later from a water butt; good to do if you have access to one.

It’s also really good to do if you have goldfish, as you can effectively use a sponge from the butt and add fish immediately.

Back