• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Storing substrate

Agree with Konsa, best drying it out otherwise mould will grow on it. Then a sealed container or bag will prevent it drawing moisture in. Not sure how mush of a dessicant AS is.
Having said that I just stuck my excess AS back in the bag and put it in the garage

I would actually advise against drying it, but definitely put it in something sealed. Drying may be viable if only doing so once, however because of the material and how it's made (low temperature fired clay) it's liable to disintegrate far more rapidly from any repeated wetting and drying which would cause unnecessary expansion and contraction in the pellets, thus the reason why aqua soil products are supplied with a bit of moisture in them to begin with. I personally wouldn't worry about mould as if any appears it would die off once it's submerged.

I would actually advise against drying it, but definitely put it in something sealed. Drying may be viable if only doing so once, however because of the material and how it's made (low temperature fired clay) it's liable to disintegrate far more rapidly from any repeated wetting and drying which would cause unnecessary expansion and contraction in the pellets, thus the reason why aqua soil products are supplied with a bit of moisture in them to begin with. I personally wouldn't worry about mould as if any appears it would die off once it's submerged.

Never thought about the srinking and expanding from wet to dry.

You've definitely got better things to think about mate ;) Keeps me out of trouble I suppose

Cheers all :)

Makes sense, will probably try this method.

Back