String Divider

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by NeilW, 19 Dec 2009.

1. NeilW

NeilW Member

I need to put a better divider in to keep the soil and sand foreground in my tank seperate. I tried using clear plastic strips but they reflect the light where they stick up a little above the substrate and the shrimp are doing a good job of moving the soil over it. I now want to use Java moss to divide the two, originally I was going to tie it to wire or airline but I just had a brainwave of using string. I was thinking it would be water-logged enough to sink and over time it would rot, leaving behind just the moss attached to the substrate. Does anyone think this would work?! :lol:

2. dw1305

dw1305 Expert

Hi all,
    I'm not sure about string, but I've used bamboo in a similar manner. Only problem was that bamboo floats. If I did it again I'd use either small pieces of slate, edge on, or strips of coconut shell. The slate and bamboo benefit from roughening up with some coarse glass paper. The advantage of coconut shell is that it doesn't rot, it sinks and moss fixes onto it really easily. If you wanted a straight edge you could saw the shell up or otherwise just smash the coconut shell into pieces with a hammer. You can buy coconut shell from at least one of our sponsors, or buy one from the greengrocers (about £1 each), and saw them up with a "hard-point" saw.
    cheers Darrel

3. NeilW

NeilW Member

Gave up on this idea in the end and ended up using the plastic from wire with the metal taken out :thumbup:

4. dw1305

dw1305 Expert

Lovely job and very straightforward, sometimes I think I think too much.
    cheers Darrel