• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stroke of luck...

angelah

Hi all,
Had a stroke of luck today, not often I get handed such things.
The FS I was trying to buy a CristalProfi e 900 from over the Internet were messing me about, took my money but didn't have the item in stock and aren't really sure when either. I cancelled the order.
I tried getting through to Zooplus but I think that must be in India or somewhere because we really were not connecting so I had to give up.
Phoned my local MA and they had the 1500 external version of the JBL e Series on offer for only ten quid more than I was paying for the e 900. Bought it immediately then went off to collect.
Just had a look at it and boy oh boy, are these a nice bit of kit. Comes as a complete package with whatever you're likely to need to get it fitted up and running. The chap said there was a DVD in it but there wasn't, but it does have a manual.
No problem because the JBL web site has some excellent Video clips that show you exactly how to fit up these and indeed all their filters.

So pretty chuffed to bits.

So plans are for a massive planting as soon as the tank is set up and cycle without fish, better known as a fishless cycle. The plants are important to me as I like to create a scene rather than rely on just fish to look nice, I think the background is just as important as everything else, if not vital to the welfare of the tank. But low tech, at least I'll try that approach first, by slecting the plants carefully. If that fails I shall look at Co2, but I would rather try to balance the water naturally or as naturally as possible, so any advice on that would be helpful

Angela

Thanks...
I forgot to add that I have a Fluval 305 for filtration as well. I was wondering about the placement of two filters in a 4 foot tank. Should they be at opposite ends or at the same end?
I just thought that opposing filters might cancel out the water flow I am trying to achieve, that's all, whereas if they were at the same end then flow would be enhanced?
Any suggestions welcome.

Angela

Themuleous said:
Nice, all ways good when life throws you a bone :)

Sam

Hi sam, yeah, I've been gnawing at it... lol. That is taking pictures like mad that is, just can't believe my luck.

Angela

chrisfraser05 said:
Brilliant :)

Chuffed for you.

This phrase never ceases to make me laugh. "chuffed to bits" or "chuffed" I mean no disrespect just sayin ,that's all. :lol:
Might appear to some that I am easily amused. :)

roadmaster said:
chrisfraser05 said:
Brilliant :)

Chuffed for you.

This phrase never ceases to make me laugh. "chuffed to bits" or "chuffed" I mean no disrespect just sayin ,that's all. :lol:
Might appear to some that I am easily amused. :)

Well, whatever turns you on.... as they say... lol.
I wonder where the saying chuffed to bits came from?

Angela

lol

It is a strange word!!! Chuffed lol

Why not run both filters through one or two spray bars covering the full length of the tank?

You would then get a good flow down the front glass, across the bottom front to back then up the back glass.

Great if you are aiming to have some carpeting plants :)

chrisfraser05 said:
lol

It is a strange word!!! Chuffed lol

Why not run both filters through one or two spray bars covering the full length of the tank?

You would then get a good flow down the front glass, across the bottom front to back then up the back glass.

Great if you are aiming to have some carpeting plants :)

Chris,
there's a good point, those carpeting plants. Will they go well with Corydoras do you think? I thought Corys rather liked to rummage around in sand, not plants...

Angela

my corys are ripping my HC up quicker than I can plant it.

I wouldn't recommend it with corys but I'm not sure about other plants.

Hi again Chris,
You wrote :- Why not run both filters through one or two spray bars covering the full length of the tank?

As I shall be stocking with narrow long fish similar to Danios (although not Danios) like White Clouds, wouldn't this cause them to swim facing the flow? That would mean with their little backs to the front glass... lol.
This was why I said from an end of tank position rather than the back. Just a thought and again opinions are welcome.
It would be possible to lay the spray bars along the back or across and edge, I measured them.

Angela

prob better along the side then if thats the case.

you might be wise to get a powerhead or two if you are doing this then as it will be hard to get the flow all the way along the tank and back.

chrisfraser05 said:
prob better along the side then if thats the case.

you might be wise to get a powerhead or two if you are doing this then as it will be hard to get the flow all the way along the tank and back.

Right, a good idea, push the flow along, especially at the lower part of the tank the opposite end of the spray bar. Should that be part-way along, about halfway?

Substrate will be sand then, but with some different sized stones on a short gravel base front to back somewhere, slightly off centre would be good, coming in from under an arch formed of either plant leaves or bogwood. But mostly of sand, got to keep the corys happy.... lol.

Angela

I'm not sure exactly would be the best, its really a case of try and see :) try a few different plaements with the powerhead.

I've got 2 spraybars and two powerheads in mine, was aiming for a circular flow but wanted to push the co2 enriched water down before it got to mix with the surface.

You can see my attempt in my journal.

Back