• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stubble Algae

jameson_uk

Thought I was fighting a bit of BBA but it turns out it isn't. Looks more like stubble and growing in the middle of leaves.

I suspect this is down to me playing around with spray bar and changing the flow (which in turn has changed where the frogbit was filtering the light.

I am going to turn down lights and look at flow but what type of algae is this? Will excel do anything to help clear what is there up?
c527f75998781f5a45082c9cb1d5eef1.jpg
3a24f2cded3f034a762038b9136fc556.jpg
f633840f155da61faac9dfc5adc13767.jpg
a652fdd0e7ead72fa121ca4e2047d947.jpg

Staghorn. Be aggressive with it. It likes to play hardball.

Its staghorn i had this when i kept mini java fern. I used excel to get rid of it but i made sure i dosed directly with a small syringe. After a day or two its turns red and its gone.

Will excel do anything to help clear what is there up?
According to Seachem it will. I have found that 1.5% gluteraldehyde solution in water to effectively kill algae but only at high doses. Plants in a container and dosed at say 1 ml of glute solution to a litre of water and leave for an hour or so. Flush the container water away under the tap. The dead algae will need to be washed off under the tap by rubbing the leaves clean with your fingers. May have to repeat the next day. You could try applying a normal dose for your tank directly onto affected leaves via a teat pipette or similar. Turn all pumps off first. Still leaves spores in the tank. Generally accepted a CO2/light balance problem is causal.

Back