• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stuck in a rut!

Is that George Farmer's "One Pot Iwagumi"? Great hardscape and amazing end result isn't it.

I think you have problem because you are thinking too much, literally. Just try to relax, don't think too much and try to make something chaotic. Place the biggest rock, then opposite rock and then just try to make it look chaotic, like in a nature. I can see that you placing all rocks in the same way, try to avoid that. Try to tilt the biggest stone, just a little, and say if it's better. Hope I was helpful.

I sat down again today and pulled everything out again, put the tank aside and started playing with hardscapes on a towel on the table, came up with something I was pleased with then tried to transfer it to the tank and the tank was too small, so had to work around that, end result is something I'm pretty happy with, added a few smaller stones here and there, to make things look a little more rough, un-natural.

I'm thinking too much for sure.

Is there any possibility you could buy more rocks ? My biggest mistake was buying a few kilo of seryiu,ohko,pagoda, bassalt when I first started in the hobby and I'm left with a box full of rocks that just don't fit together :lol: instead of an iwagumi a nice piece of redmoor or manzi driftwood would complement those rocks well, and let you get on with the business of growing plants :)

Yeah I could get more stone, but it would have to be by mail as the closest aquarium store is roughly 4 hours away, I think I've come up with something I'm really happy with.

Hi GotCrabs,
you have a good selection of rocks there with some nice textures. You may be lacking a main stone though which makes scaping difficult. To overcome this try grouping a couple of stones together to give the illusion of a larger focal stone 'Oyaishi' and work from there.
As i said earlier you may have to alter your layout to get something your happy with.

In the first image the supporting rock to the left of my Oyaishi stone just didnt work, however i liked the rest of the layout so i played nice with a few more rocks until i found something that worked better.....

Its about trying to get rocks which compliment each other, work from a focal rock (or cluster rocks which fit nicely together) and your layout will begin to take a shape from which you can add complimentary rocks. You can add mounding, or slopes to your substrate to gain height if your rocks rant tall enough and try to use the rule of thirds for focal points :thumbup:
Stick with it, it'll come together in the end.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Thanks Ady, that hardscape is great, love it, I know what you mean though, as said above I sat down and pulled everything out and had another play around with a scape, added more smaller stones here and there for an un-natural look, a lot of rock crammed together, I've come up with a hardscape I'm quite happy with and am looking forward to fully planting out with HC, perhaps some Dwarf Hair Grass at back, also removed most of the substrate I had in the tank, made a level surface instead of a slope and worked with that, added a few cups of substrate to the back to create a background for planting, end result, I'm happy with what I've come up with, I'll post photos once planting is started and I'll create a journal also.

Thanks all for the help, much appreciated.

Had the inspiration to look at a few examples via Adys and Nelsons one of George Farmers. In your picture set up Gotcrabs your Oyaishi has the next stone roughly the same size. Maybe the Oyaishi has to be well chosen and next one" down" a third smaller?

Had the inspiration to look at a few examples via Adys and Nelsons one of George Farmers. In your picture set up Gotcrabs your Oyaishi has the next stone roughly the same size. Maybe the Oyaishi has to be well chosen and next one" down" a third smaller?

Yeah came up with something else earlier that I think I'm going to go with.

Actually looks different in photo from what it does from the eye.

"Others" waiting pics. :) First create something that u like, than others help improving it.

Looks great, I would maybe just move that central foreground rock to the left a touch, maybe even right up to the left hand bank of rocks as it looks too central currently.
Pleased you returned to it with fresh ideas and a clear head, and that you have a scape which you are happy with. You can enjoy the planting now :).
Cheerio
Ady

Looks great, I would maybe just move that central foreground rock to the left a touch, maybe even right up to the left hand bank of rocks as it looks too central currently.
Pleased you returned to it with fresh ideas and a clear head, and that you have a scape which you are happy with. You can enjoy the planting now :).
Cheerio
Ady

Actually did wonder about the rock in the middle being too 'centre' and was wondering where else to put it, also thought about something on the left top level as well, there is also a small rock on the left that doesn't seem to fit in, might take that away and add it elsewhere, it's sitting at 16 stones, so will need to add more or less, probably more to give it the uneven number.

Looks like you'll have to start a journal now :lol:.

Yeah once I start the planting phase I'll take a photo and start recording details and what not, have 5 pots of HC being sent off tomorrow, not sure if to plant the whole tank in HC or add E. Parvula in the back.

Looks really good, look forward to following your journal :thumbup:

Thanks, really looking forward to planting this in and watching it grow, just not sure about if to go full HC or not.

Back