• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

Substrate advice needed

Davey

Dear all,

I am in the process of rescaping a tank which has 7 year old ecocomplete capped with fine black sand. The ecomplete has a 1/1.5inch depth and the sand is about 2 cm. Over the course of the last 7 years, some of the ecocomplete has founds it's way ontoo of the sand, although this doesnt bother me.

I intend to plant heavy in the new scape, add ferts/co2 and we have some strong lighting. So I'm in the market for a new substrate, I'm thinking of tropica aquarium soil, although I have read about Westlands aqua compost. I'm also thinking that I could bank up the ecocomplete where I want to build height in the tank and use the aquarium soil/new substrate ontop. If I do this, should I try to scrape the top layer of sand away before adding the soil?
Any suggestions?

Cheers
Dav

Back