• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

substrate alfagrog same as jbl volcano

john arnold

Hi
I was going to use some alfagrog under tropica soil to make a big incline towards back of tank as it will stop compacting and aerate the deep parts, also i heard its as good as seachem matrix,can someone tell me if this is correct as im about to put an order in
thanks

Garuf

I use generic pond filter media for the the same job, aside from being extremely course (read as be careful to not scratch your glass) it’s all much of a muchness so use what ever is easily to hand.

X3NiTH

Volcano Mineral is a foamed Bassalt.
Alfagrog is a foamed Ceramic.

Both porous with very high surface area to volume, one is natural, the other man made.

One is a Volcanic byproduct and the other hopefully a byproduct of something else being baked in a kiln!

:)

zozo

I believe the more common name for the product/brandname Alfagrog is Frit...

You can find it in several other pond substrates brands sometimes mixed with backed clay granules. Such as VDL Aquadecor pond substrate, comes rather cheap +/- €1 p/litre and I remember the bag also has a UK description on the back label. It says nothing about Alfagrog but it's the same stuff... :)
8714162000113_6.jpg

8714162000113_3_1.png

I've used it in an aquarium bagged in pantyhoses to bank up the DW.
dscf5082-jpg.54605

dscf5123-jpg.54604

I guess that stuff should be available somewhere in the UK, more likely in pond shops. I can find Alfagrog in my country but it's rather much more expensive than VDL. No idea why.

Last edited: