• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Substrate and fertilizer dosage

Kushal Bhattacharjee

Tropica aquarium soil is already richly ladened with nitrogen and phosphorous in that case whether do I need to dose tropica specialized nutrition (contains mainly nitrogen and phosphor) very often or do it occasionally....like twice or thrice a week ?
The tank is a high tech one 5ft×2ft×2.5ft in dimensions
3x 9ltr bags of tropica soil have been used
Both slow and fast growing demanding plants have been used
All suggestions are welcome 😊

I dont think there is a right or wrong answer to this. My latest set up was as slightly expected overrun with diatoms and after 2 months its just getting better . I have tropica soil and started EI water column dosing day one. Possibly in hindsight should have not put EI in straight away just let the plants establish in the soil first. Just restarted EI and plants growing well. Suppose if you use Tropica Specalised at reduced dosage to start. With special watch on lighting and CO2 if used

With the size of your tank is could soon get costly dosing TSN (tropica specialized nutrition), so it may be well worth the effect of doing some DIY ferts, not sure what you can get your hands on locally, but we have got other members who have been able to source there salts all over the world.
The IFC calculator will do all the maths to clone many commercial ferts and fert regimes with a wide range of salts. Any issues/problems using it just ask. You can always ask and I will sort the salt mix out based on what you can get your hands on if the calculator is confusing or no access to excel.

As to how much to dose depends on many factors like CO2 injection, level of light and number of plants. If low tech/light once a week should be fine, its not rocket science as if plants look a bit deficient just dose a bit more or twice a week or just post a pic and ask

Last edited:
With the size of your tank is could soon get costly dosing TSN (tropica specialized nutrition), so it may be well worth the effect of doing some DIY ferts, not sure what you can get your hands on locally, but we have got other members who have been able to source there salts all over the world.
The IFC calculator will do all the maths to clone many commercial ferts and fert regimes with a wide range of salts. Any issues/problems using it just ask. You can always ask and I will sort the salt mix out based on what you can get your hands on if the calculator is confusing or no access to excel.

As to how much to dose depends on many factors like CO2 injection, level of light and number of plants. If low tech/light one a week should be fine, its not rocket science as if plants look a bit deficient just dose a bit more or twice a week or just post a pic and ask
Thanks alot 😊

Back