• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Substrate confusion

Mirf

I am very new to aquariums so please excuse the possibly stupid questions......

I am trying to set up a (low cost) planted tank for 2 dwarf puffers. the tank is 10 gallon and will be running without co2.

I was advised that a simple way to provide nutrients for the plants is to simply put a layer of Hydroleca covered with either sterile topsoil or john innes no.2, (no insecticides or nasties in either) then a layer of either sand or gravel on top.

I have since been told by someone else that this will result in either an algae bloom or water so polluted it will likely kill the fish and to instead use peat....which I was previously told to avoid at all costs.....

I am now beyond confused! :?

I know purchasing the appropriate aquatic planting medium will be the obvious choice, but it would cost me in the region of £50 including delivery and that's out of my price range at the moment.

Any help for a cheap (prefferably idiot proof) option would be very much appreciated.

If you really want to use a substrate why don't you go for JBL AquaBasis? .. it's cheap enough and very good.

Still looking at £20 plus for a 5 litre bag ( I have no aquatic shops within an hours drive of me) :? Had a quick google and some reports are saying that disturbing it causes clouds of gumk in the tank and the sub is almost inert after only 4 - 6 weeks.

Do I not really need to use a soil substrate then? I just want something that is fairly low maintenance without killing all the plants.

Told you I was full of stupid questions :oops:

Try akadama plus some moss peat and some osmocote. Check the first sticky thread in substrates.
I could actually help you with that as you would only need half of the bag of akadama just a sprinkle of osmocote and peat moss. I have bought loads of the staff as am using it in all my setups. Could send it for 6£ plus postage. You could help me and arrange your own courier. Its about 8£ from parcels2go.com
Have a read and let me know.
Regards ;)

If i were you, i'd just use a play sand and dose the water column with fertiliser, simples :thumbup: Play sand will cost you pence and you'll get no clouding, ammonia spikes or anything. Plants don't need a substrate fertiliser if you dose well.

b and q play sand 3 quid a bag and your good to go as long as your light is low enough it will work brilliantly.

I had a 15watt t8 on a tall 90l clearseal tank and it grew really well crypts and hygros no algae no added ferts didn't even have much flow it had a fluval u2

Dan Crawford said:
If i were you, i'd just use a play sand and dose the water column with fertiliser, simples :thumbup: Play sand will cost you pence and you'll get no clouding, ammonia spikes or anything. Plants don't need a substrate fertiliser if you dose well.

I think I love you!! :D

I have several bags of playsand as I use if for my reps

*wonders if the addition of some roach poop would matter*

Can I ask what fertiliser you would recommend please?

Mitch said:
b and q play sand 3 quid a bag and your good to go as long as your light is low enough it will work brilliantly.

I had a 15watt t8 on a tall 90l clearseal tank and it grew really well crypts and hygros no algae no added ferts didn't even have much flow it had a fluval u2

This is gonna be my next question. I just bought a pretty light (I'm a girl, what can I say?)I'm now worried it may be a little too bright.... it's a 24 watts led thingy....this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... AQ:GB:1123

Is that going to be too bright?

I prefer argos playsand myself, nicer colour and more even grain size ;)

Hiya, 25w over 10 gallons is a lot of light! CO2 is a must :( Is there anyway you can block around half of the light? Perhaps cover some of it up with cardboard or similar?

I would highly recommend Tropica Plant Nutrition Plus :thumbup:

I have plenty of other lights I can use instead. I have a 5% uvb, 13 watt bulb in a dome, would that be any use?

Thanks muchly for the heads up on the fertiliser. Will go look on fleabay and see if I can find any. :thumbup:

Back