• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Substrate covering

Bradders

Hi All,

These will undoubtedly be two stupid questions but I thought I would check with the community.

I have terrible gravel in terms of colour - see the image below. Some of my fish 'disappear' when near the gravel due to its white/multi-colour tone, and that is now starting to affect fish viewing with certain species. So I need to do something about it, and I need to do something that minimises disruption and inhabitant stress. i.e. I don't want to almost tear down the tank to replace the substrate. So, what is the best way to deal with this?
  1. I was thinking about either covering it with a darker substrate or removing a little of the current and then replacing it with the darker substrate. Almost a covering of dark but keeping the majority of the existing? Would that seem sensible/doable/OK?
  2. Until I get my new aquarium, I will only use gravel and keep easy plants. So, what dark gravel would people recommend that is the right size and has also been found to be aesthetically pleasing, etc. (I know people suggest a particular size as well).
Thanks all. Any advice and feedback would be great.

Thanks,
Brad

IMG_0876.jpeg

How long do you think it might be before this reaches fruition?
Suspecting around six months or so. The aim is to have it in Autumn.

The only problem I can see is your gravel looks quite large diameter so anything smaller will eventually slip through leaving your existing back on top. The only possibility I can think of at the moment is a covering such as jbl ProScape Volcano Mineral 9L although I have not seen it in the flesh so do not know the actual size of the chips but perhaps someone who has will pipe up.

I agree with the botanical option, especially if temporary.

Unless I am very much mistaken, apologies if I am, but it looks like you've planted a java fern in the substrate? If it's a crypt, sorry, but if it is a java fern then it's rhizome needs to be above the substrate.

You're correct about the sand just dropping down in the gaps, however if it reaches 'critical mass' then the sand will rise to the surface and the larger gravel will sink - If you did want to do something other than botanicals that is. Anyone with 'scatter gravel' will know this magic disappearing trick.

The botanicals if you want to actually cover the substrate will affect parameters and aesthetics, a lot. I like it, I do it, I know it's not for everyone.

Morning,
In your circumstances I also wouldn't be daunted by (and I have done it myself several times in the past) draining the tank into a large receptacle (I use these Red Gorilla Polyethylene Tub Black 75Ltr - Screwfix) put fish and plants in and run the filter/heater, completely replace the substrate with your choice (avoiding the Ammonia rich Aquasoils) and then reverse the procedure. You have two mature Oase 250's, existing water and beneficial bacteria on and around your plant roots to deal with the Nitrogen Cycle and inoculate your new substrate. This could all be done in a few hours but I have kept fish and plants like this for a few days giving time to tinker with hardscape etc... Just keep an eye on parameters for a few days, do not overfeed and be ever ready to do a water change.
Just another thought/idea!

Thank you, everyone, for the great advice and pointers - as always.

I need to think about it using this advice and see how to proceed.

Back