• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Substrate

Gas man

Seedling
Is the TMC substrate range any good and if not what would you recommend to me. I am in the process of shutting down my reef tank so any help to turn my aquarium into a beautiful planted tank would be gratefully received especially substrate wise.cheers Dan.

Is the TMC substrate range any good and if not what would you recommend to me. I am in the process of shutting down my reef tank so any help to turn my aquarium into a beautiful planted tank would be gratefully received especially substrate wise.cheers Dan.

Yep the tmc stuff is great I've used it on all my last 4 tanks. Brilliant stuff and the grain shape is nice
Good anchoring, clear water from the start etc

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2

Hello again Alistair lol. Thanks for helping out again. So do I have to use peat and then the substrate or is there an all in one type thing in the TMC range? Cheers Dan.

The TMC aqua soil is all in one. Contains nutrients for your plants, although for the best growth you will be adding liquid or powder ferts to the water too once set up :)

Which is why I still can't get my head around why aquarium shops don't sell pre-filtered-bio-loaded sponges or media for filters or substrate to get the cycle rolling along quicker.

Most shops will hold your sponges or media in bags if you ask them, personally I wouldn't want my media exposed to that many possible diseases and pathogens.
In a heavily planted tank you can start slowly stocking within a couple of weeks anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ammonia is great for starting the cycle and like Iian said. If you plant heavily the plants will lap it up too :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Ok so it looks like I will be using the TMC stuff. Thanks for your advice on this as I say it's a long way removed from my reef tank. Ammonia in a reef is a killer but from what I'm gathering it will be good source off energy so to speak in my planted tank.the only other question is you mentioned nutrasoil Sacha is that the name of the TMC stuff? I also want to say thanks for all your replys that will steer me in the right way to set up a tank like some of the ones I have seen on this site already. And also this site is really friendly not like most of the reef keeping sits I have used. So thanks for the welcom guys and sorry for all the basic questions.Dan.

Tmc aquagro nutasoil. Comes in black or brown :)

Tmc aquagro nutasoil. Comes in black or brown :)

Thanks Ali I think I will have a look at the brown colour. I think the more natural the better. Do you put sand over the top or as I have been told it's like pellets can I just have that as my one and only substrate? Thanks for helping me out. Dan.

Yeah I really like the brown.
gary6era.jpg

You can put sand or something over the top of it if you don't like the way it looks, but you can leave it uncovered too if you're not fussed.

You can put sand or something over the top of it if you don't like the way it looks, but you can leave it uncovered too if you're not fussed.
Cheers I will have a good look into it.

You should ask in the sponsors forum. I'm sure George (I assume its George) will answer any questions you have

Back