• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Suggestions for a shrimp tank?

Gfish

I just got one of those cube tanks from Pets at Home for fathers day :)

Anyone have any suggestions or plants to sell or throw my way???

Cheers

Gavin

Hi Luis

That's the kind of approach I'm liking for this little tank.
I'm struggling with dinky pieces of wood, so may have to do some shopping at the weekend. I won't be using Co2 with this tank so not sure moss is the way forward. Would java moss be best if I did try?
How about a bit of tennulus chain sword? I've not tried this before but do you think it will do ok in a low tech?

Cheers

Gavin

Moss for sure, but tenelus needs co2.

Mine is on my kids room, by the window.

Manzanita with moss, java fern, riccia and Indian fern floating. No ferts or co2. Sometimes te light comes on for 4 hours.

The glass actually was full of brown and green algae, but a quick scrape did the job.

70% water change per week.

Great tanks to setup.

Sounds nice. So what's with the huge water change??? I'd imagined less often and more like 30% would be the way for this setup. I will only put lights on for the evenings on this tank, so 4 hours probably.

The 7 year old is taking care of the tank. You would be amazed at the amount of food she will drop there. I am teaching her that a small amount of flake food per day, then daphnia from the garden as often as she wants, is much better.

So a large water change a week does wonders for such a small enclosure, it is only 30 liters..

No CO2, very small amount of ferts, and the mosses, ferns and even bolbitis is growing nicely. The shrimp are populating the tank, no dead fish yet, and everyone is happy. :)

Back