• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Suitable environment for fish?

Annie G

Just came across this:
I don’t think this is a suitable environment for any fish. Could I have your thoughts on it?
Thanks

Absolutely not. Nor shrimp. Not even the largest container.
Aside from the diminutive size, the gas exchange will be minimal not only since some are taller than wider but also because of the narrow neck. And with a wooden ball in it just for good measure, it's effectively sealed off.

Apparently though it's okay it's sealed off since it's a self-sustaining ecosystem...
I'm sure I don't need to elaborate why it's not.

1714149907907.png

Have notified the RSPCA

Last edited:
Although it states ‘UK owned and operated’ there is a distinct far east vibe in one of the demo videos. If you look carefully at ‘Easy to plant the way you want’ clip at the writing on the wall behind the hand.

I think there may be two male fighting fish in the ‘habitat’ in the same clip. Can it get any worse?

Ok, this is definitely crap, especially for fish. Complete with super fake 5* reviews.

The only potentially intriguing thing about it is the “water weed” grown from seed. Are these just drowned herbs or are they viable aquatic plants? Looks a bit like Glossostigma.

Ok, this is definitely crap, especially for fish. Complete with super fake 5* reviews.

The only potentially intriguing thing about it is the “water weed” grown from seed. Are these just drowned herbs or are they viable aquatic plants? Looks a bit like Glossostigma.
Depends on which plant seeds you order. The seeds advertised as glosso or monte carlo often turn out to be Hygrophila polysperma. The seeds advertised as Eleocharis have been reported as oat or some land grass. There are other possibilities but yea... don't expect it to turn out well or as advertised.

According to their website the seeds are Bacopa monnieri.
They also sell a syphon & recommend weekly water changes. I think even with daily water changes you would struggle to keep any fish alive in that torture chamber. 😢
I've noticed a number of worktop hydroponics set ups designed to have goldfish swimming in the water reservoir.
It seems the people who buy these things simply don't appreciate they are being cruel to a living creature.

Back